Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Any new A3 rumors for near future?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could see Audi pricing it that way.

I expect the 2008 A4 design change to make most A4's more expensive in the future, so why not make a more expensive A3 2.0T model with Quattro option available that is in the A3 3.2 price range (that goes from 34K to 42K). That might have a high enough margin that stimulates AOA to market A3's finally. With the number of hot hatches coming out from the competition, Audi can't remained complacent. If not then they better change their slogan. Audi needs to check out here on the USA west coast how many hot hatches are on the road!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default A3 Is Best Selling In Europe, than The A4

I read somewhere that the A3 is the best selling Audi in Europe followed by the A4. The A6, A8, Q7 are much further down on the list. They sell tons of A3's.

That being said Audi knows how Americans feel about hatchbacks ie. Americans on the whole dont like hatchbacks. Why? Who knows but people seem to prefer sedans with a conventional trunk.

That is why they dont really push the car. They want to see what will happen with it. Will it fly. I see them occasionally in NJ but not tons of them. A4's on the other hand are around.

Personally I would like to order the car the way I want without all the stupid packages. Why they restrict colors and options is beyond me. I could understand it on dealer cars but in my case I ordered my car so why do they care what I order?

Very annoying. The reality is if there was no A3 I would have ended up buying a GTI or a Mini Cooper.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many luxury hot hatches are there here? The R32? The Volvo C30? Eventually the BMW 130i?

All I know is that for now the A3 is a freebie to test the waters. The BMW 318ti, BMW coupe (the breadvan thingie), and Mercedes C230 Coupe did not sell that well. Everything else is more econohatch with a hot-rod motor.

While I am personally thrilled AoA bothered to give us the A3 at all, I am not sure it makes much business sense if they have other products that require their limited resources to ensure a proper launch. The buzz in the R8, A5, and TT II forums is far greater than anything we've ever seen in the A3 forum. A3 sales are too few to be bread and butter, and yet the model does not have the sex appeal to get noticed by the general public.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Default AOA doesn't market very well in the USA. So what else is old!

You brought up an interesting point with AOA having limited resources. How's Audi expected to grow their market in the USA if they don't advertise decently. Using Mercedes as a great example, Mercedes doesn't focus so much on a particular model but just end the commercial with Mercedes makes beautiful automobiles that people lust after with known celebrities commenting during the commercial. So Audi shows a bunch of A4's performing precision driving antics at night without selling their whole line...something missing my friend. Audi focus's on marketing just one model is pointless, when they are expanding their model offerings. I'd love to see commercials showing various Audi models be driven fast down beautiful roads and showing off their high-tech interiors with people commenting. It would be so non-VW of them!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default No they don't but sales continue to climb in spite of that;-) If the combined marketing

might of Mercedes and BMW couldn't make the 318ti and C230 desireable to US buyers, what chance does Audi have? And if they spend the money marketing a low to no margin car, can we really complain if they don't have the resources to launch the (more important from a visability standpoint) A5, TT, and R8?

From 14,000 cars at the low point in 1991 (after 60 Minutes) to 90,000 cars sold in the US last year is not too shabby. Overall, Audi made 900,000 cars (Audi only) last year to BMW's 1,300,000 (including MINI and Rolls Royce) and Mercedes' 1,200,000. It's the 11th straight record year for Audi, with a growth rates twice that of BMW's. We receive an incredible array of Audi models given the expense of certification and portion of overall volume we consume - and the fact that this is their highest operating cost market - with an average cost for similar models 3 to 4% less expensive than BMW.

I'm grateful we even got the A3 at all.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Might doesn't make right :-)

In both instances neither Mercedes or BMW got it right. The BMW 318 performance was horrid, and C230 design was ugly. Now Audi comes out with a small hatch that offers good performance and also quite attractive, gee I think we have a winner! The future BMW 1 series has good performance but quite expensive, it will be interesting to see how that does against Audi's.
Cheers
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Would you pay low $30K range for a base 2.0TQ? Mid to upper $30K range with options?

It's true that clearly the majority of people in the US prefer the DSG to the stick, but if they would have certified the 2.0TQ it could've been offered for the TT as well. And I'm quite sure that sales for the TT manual with Quattro would be more than 20%.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you still think the A3 3.2 with the manual is a piggy back possibility?

With the TT coming with that combination, because that is really the car that I want. Quattro and non-boosted engine, sounds like the best combination, IMO.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

My pals in Germany are not in the position to know what we will get :-(
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default With only 10% of Audi's total market share, and 80% of all Audis sold worldwide as non-QTR,

we don't have the means to dictate the way North Americans do with BMW where almost half of all production is sold here:-(

Quick Reply: Any new A3 rumors for near future?