Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Anyone has change the CAT in an S3???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone has change the CAT in an S3???

Hi there: I have an MTM chip tuned 2001 S3 (247HP). I wanted to take the next step in raising power, and was told that changing the exhaust system would not be worth it, unless I´d change the CAT aswell, which is the exhaust system´s bottleneck. Anyway, I haven´t been able to find a modified CAT, that is compatible with the S3´s lamda sensors and all. Does anyone have a clue??
Thanx.
Cuñeee (Lima-Perú)
Old 01-08-2003, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone has change the CAT in an S3???

I think what you've been told is not fully correct.

A popular exhaust upgrade in the UK for the S3 is by company call Milltek. And is available from these uk tuners...

www.auto-amd.com
www.quattrosports.co.uk

A back-box section alone, will probably only give you 5bhp. But the full system, with standard CAT, will give you about 15bhp.

If you replaced the standard CAT, with a metal, semi-racing CAT, that could free up another 10-20bhp.

All the above bhp figures may need your ECU re-map to be adjusted accordingly.

Have a look on here...

<a href="http://www.quattrosports.co.uk/list_for_car.asp?car=s318">Quattrosports S3 tuning</a>

...and if I were you, I'd drop AmD or Quattrosports an e-mail to confirm the figures.

Cheers

AL
PS: I have no associations with either company.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:57 AM

Milltek in the UK do a turbo back exhaust system wit sports cat... it cost £750gbp and will increase by about 15-20bhp (whole system including cat). The cat back exhaust system will only increase by about 6bhp, and a rear box is for nothing much more than good looks and sound.

Cheers

Rich B
Old 01-09-2003, 01:58 PM

That´s what I thought.... Thanks to both of you for the reply...
And do you know if those CATS would keep the lamda sensors and all?? OR would I start getting error messages from the computer´s readings? The original S3´s Cat is a double one, if I´m not mistaken, and last year, when I went to Germany, I wasnt able to find any aftermarket CAT which respected that.

Anyway... now my dilema would be how the hell do I bring the parts to Lima, Perú! hehe..
cheers
Cuñeee
Red S3
Old 01-10-2003, 01:54 AM

I should think it would hold the lambda... bit crap if it wont!

Peru eh... bit of a way away. speak to stratmosphere in the US. They are a milltek dealer, and might be able to get one over from the UK even tho the A3/S3 arent available over there... but u never know.

www.stratmosphere.com

Cheers

Rich B
Old 01-10-2003, 07:05 AM

Default HyperBoost Valves????

Thanx, I already emailed them. Let´s see what they answer. Does anyone know if there´s compatibility between the S3 and the TT´s exhaust system??? The engine at least is almost identical, am I right???

And now that I visited their site, I got curious about the HyperBoost Valves??.. is it really worth to buy one of them??

Thanx again..
regards,,
Cuñeee
Old 01-10-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Re: HyperBoost Valves????

Definately... i got one on my A3 1.8T and it works excellent... knocked a second off 0-60 times and there is no lag on gear changes. Definately woth the £93 that i paid for it.
Might be getting my A3 chipped end of the month.. so hopefully will be pushing out about 190bhp soon :-). as the A3 T sport is lighter than the S3, with 190bhp, it will have the same power to weight ratio (if not more power):-D so cant wait. Will be going to Santa Pod dragway on the 16th march for a bit of quarter mile fun.

Rich B
Old 01-17-2003, 12:40 PM

Default Re: HyperBoost Valves????

Thanx again for the tip... I think Ill get one of those valves.....
and I already got an MTM chip on my S3.. so I should be arround 250 HP right now... actually I can´t confirm the exact number, because there aren´t any dynamometers for all wheel drive cars, here in Lima... (gee, that´s a third world country, hehehe )....
.. And still no answer from those guys at Stratmosphere...... hmm...