Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Anyone opposed to chipping? Reasons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
JDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone opposed to chipping? Reasons?

Ok so it seems most are down with chipping the 2.0T. I am not sure because I'm not real educated on what the risks are. I'd like to hear if there are any folks on here that will talk me out of it.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depends on which company you go with.

Go with APR if you want to minimize the risks of engine damage.

Dave
Old 10-26-2006, 04:48 PM
JDM
AudiWorld Member

Default Can you define minimize?

What could happen relatively speaking compared to a stock engine?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well with any chip, you're going to be increasing the amount of boost which means that the turbo

spins faster (more wear on the turbo bearings) and the increased cylinder pressures put greater stress on the engine. That being said, the engine can really take most of these stresses well, as long as the chiptuning is good.

APR calibrates their software with stock safeguards in mind. Their software maintains certain variables that affect component longevity such as A/F ratio, boost, and timing. Instead of pushing certain variables to the limit, they choose a more synergistic approach by modifying each variable enough so that it produces an overall big result.

If you look at the links in my sig, you'll see what I mean. REVO compromised several of these variables and doesn't necessarily make more power than APR which has less timing pull, slightly less aggressive boost, and lower EGTs.

Some recent dynos (on the same dyno) of APR vs REVO+intake resulted in higher #s from APR, while maintaining the safer tune. From having extensive experience with REVO myself, I've found APR to be the better program in terms of driveability and low end power.

Dave
Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
JDM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, very good info. Has anyone done or seen a stock log?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opposed hell no, I think it should be manditory for every A3 owner, if your not chipped...

you dont know what your missing. On that note Go APR.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep

Although these are not my logs, nor can I verify whether or not they were conducted to the same standards as mine.

Seems like a lot of people can easily vary their results by not getting full load on the engine or by starting / stopping at different RPMs. I conducted all my logs the exact same way, on the same patch of road, under very similar ambient conditions.

Dave<ul><li><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/OOOO.A3/20TFSIBaselineEngineMeasurements?authkey=_P3NSKCiD G129eLIwJMy8kkBRSM">http://picasaweb.google.com/OOOO.A3/20TFSIBaselineEngineMeasurements?authkey=_P3NSKCiD G129eLIwJMy8kkBRSM</a</li></ul>
Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Those are my logs....

The conditions under which I conducted them are stated on each graph, but of course there will be some variation from driver to driver, car to car, road to road, etc.

When I do power mods eventually, I'll do new runs in the same manner as the baseline ones. Comparing before and after of mine will eliminate a lot of those variables, but who knows when that will be.

Here's a shorter URL for my logs, with some comments, instead of a direct link to the gallery:<ul><li><a href="http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/10/data-logs-stock-baseline.html">http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/10/data-logs-stock-baseline.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am not chipping during the warranty period. Ethically wrong IMHO to ask AoA to cover the

mechanicals when I'm running all that extra power through them. Now if I could clearly seperate my responsibility from the portions not effected, I might do it, but that's impossibly complicated.

Any time you ask a car to make more power, you place more stress on things and some will wear out sooner than before. There is no way around that. So long as Audi is on the hook for my car, I will not transfer my responsibility to them.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Judge...........how did you afix the s line badge to your grille?

Quick Reply: Anyone opposed to chipping? Reasons?