Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

APR or GHL? Plus a few extras

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR or GHL? Plus a few extras

Been looking and investigating a lot between GHL's 3" turboback exhaust system versus APR's 3" Full Exhaust System.

First Concern: Price Difference- it's been giving me a slight heart attack. looking at a GHL system which is roughly $950 versus an APR system which is $1300. WHERE DOES THAT $350 go?!?!

Second Concern: Exhaust tone- looking for something a little more loud, i'm still a teen, and I want something that draws a little attention without the rice effect of course.

Thrid Concern: Possibly if i go APR- only going to get Catback for now as seeing Audi's 2.5" downpipe is already a solid setup and figure i'll save myself some money and get it later down the road and focus on other things first. so with that stated, can the 3" APR Catback hookup with the 2.5" Downpipe or am i burning a bridge? Should i just wait and get the whole setup. what do you think?

Forth Concern (final one, i promise): Difference in #'s- being a fan of number crunching trying to improve my 1/4 mile time, which system is going to give me the best results when added a bigger turbo which is going to come in the future. once everything else is in place. Seen a few dyno charts, and not very conclusive, you would assume APR would run higher for the money, but one never knows.

Please provide as much information as you can. buying exhaust setup on monday either way. need some things to consider over the weekend before i make the purchase.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

GHL = loud/drone probably what you are looking for
Old 06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I cannot back the APR cat, because I have had issues.

Primarily because there is some compatibility issue between it and the Neuspeed powerflash throwing fault codes. Anyhow, you already know that you are not driving a turbo'd V8, so there is only so much sound you can expect from your exhaust. I love the way my APR turbo back sounds. The difference is that I run ABT out from the cat back, so I don't know what a full APR system sounds like. I am not a teen, but I am extremely juvenille and immature, and the APR exhaust note gives me wood. It's a bit more aggressive than stock, but I noticed that it echos the turbo spooling through the undercarriage. I think it sounds doperific.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You did not mention it, but if sound is what you are looking for check out AWE

I have the full system and it's a bit loud for my taste. Here is a clip at my dealer sponsored track day last year.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSVECywGCFg">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSVECywGCFg</a</li></ul>
Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Still one question to be answered.

What is the performance basis on each of them?!

i am going with a bigger turbo eventully and want to know which exhaust is going to make me most happy in the long run. honestly looking to buy in the next couple days. just have to determine what kinda of one i want. looks like Milltek, GHL, and APR are all still in the running, and this is just as bad as my wheels. seems like it might take a decade to decide what i want.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Default What downpipe do you have?!

see they sell a metal and a ceramic cata converter model. which do you have? and what is the difference. can't say i know anything about exhausts.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 200 cell metal - supposed to get 10 more hp than the 400 cell ceramic

If you are going to get a bigger turbo, you'll want 3 inch piping. The smaller AWE piping keeps your lower end torque.