Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi door design (be careful when opening)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi door design (be careful when opening)

I'm rather annoyed by the way the doors on the A3 holds open only at certain angles, and when it's in between those angles, it tends to swing uncontrollably toward the next notch. This makes careful door handling in tight parking scenarios unnecessarily difficult.

Just today I parked next to a rather high curb. When my friend and I exited the A3, I heard a heart-wrenching scratching noise as the tip of the passenger side door brushed against the pavement. A sliver of paint on the underside of the door--about a fingernail's length--was completely sheared off, exposing the primer underneath. Fortunately it can't be seen unless you get down on all fours and look skyward. Still, I'll be getting some touchup paint next time I go to the dealer.

This was on a car barely three days old. While it's not exactly a disaster, you can imagine my feelings when it happened.

In the future, I will be advising all my passengers to be extra careful when opening doors, to protect both my own property and those of others. Customers could have been easily been spared of such worries if Audi designed the door hinges like most other cars on the road.

I wonder if other people on this board have had similar experiences.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know. They seem like regular ol' car doors to me.

Now, on my TL, we had something called "the automatic door closer." Those doors would swing shut unexpectedly in the slightest breeze, or when parked on the slightest incline.

I'd rather have Audi doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default those hinges are like that so you can open the door on an incline and not have it flop back at you

there is a tensioned spring with several steps where it can hold tension, those notches or steps correspond to several angles at which the door will rest. Its a nice feature when you are on an incline and perhaps dont want a really heavy door to flop back onto you as you are trying to get out, lets say maybe you are an old man like my father, that notched door opening might make his life a little bit easier.

If the door operation is your largest concern you need to be medicated imo. Frankly I am amazed that you wasted the time to write that post.

Most other cars on the road, get real... if you wanted a toyota or honda why did you buy an audi? Maybe you should learn to be more attentive to detail when shopping for something that can disturb you so deeply. You are going to use the drivers door every single time you operate the vehcile... actually twice per use. Thats a major commitment isnt it. I mean you and that door are going to have to learn how to get along with one another right, this could be a long term relationship.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM

My Nissan doesn't even have the indents, so I miss my Audi doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I would blame the passenger for not looking out for the high curb.

I would always check before exiting a car, especially a friend's brand-spanking new Audi.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Those door hinges have absolutelly nothing to do with him hitting the curb

it sounds like your passenger could car a little more, or use her/his brain cells in a better way:-)
Old 12-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You sir, should chill out.

Please do not so easily take offense at others expressing concern about a single aspect of a car.

For the record I am quite satisfied with my purchase, except for the filmsy front roof latch and the tautness of the doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All German cars I've driven have these detents. You just need to hang onto the door

if you think it might strike something.

Depending on the colour of your car, you might be able to fit the really thin door edge guard people usually install on the vetical edge of doors to prevent dings.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 AM

Default The doors are no way as heavy as on my old A4 cab - and I have the 3 door

A3 so they are presumably heavier than the 5 door Sportback. To exit my garage I occasionally have to get out while the car is parked on a severe incline. With the A4 my legs got regularly "chopped" by the heavy door swinging back - Big Ouch!. I think it's a sign of the quality of the car. My Mum's Merc is the same. If it bothered me I would have bought a Fiat or Renault which you can probably push open with a fingertip!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you look, bottom of the door is plastic

Approximately 2" on the bottom of the door is trim piece of plastic that can easily be replaced, if damaged from hitting a curb, it won't rust.

Quick Reply: Audi door design (be careful when opening)