Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi's iPod interface news release - Am I reading this right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi's iPod interface news release - Am I reading this right?

Audi has recently issued a press release on their iPod interface. The way I read it, the unit will work on an A3 even if it has the optional satellite feature (exclusively)

What do you all think - see below:

==========

21 September 2005
AUDI INTEGRATES WITH iPOD IN THE 2006 A3

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. â€" Audi of America, Inc. today announced the iPod Interface Wiring Harness that directly links the AppleĂ' iPodĂ', the worldâ€<sup>TM</sup>s largest selling digital music player, with the 2006 Audi A3 2.0 T and itâ€<sup>TM</sup>s 10-speaker Concert and Symphony audio system.

The harness is compatible with a majority of A3, TT, A4, allroad quattro models, and previous generation A6 and A8 sound systems. These models, without optional satellite radio (except A3) or navigation, can now directly connect to an iPod with the use of this new iPod interface adapter. iPod, iPod mini, and the newly announced iPod nano media players are compatible with the Audi models.

With the use of the new harness, up to five different play lists can be accessed and played from an iPod through the vehicleâ€<sup>TM</sup>s audio system. The wiring harness is connected to the radio through the glove compartment, keeping the iPod protected and out of sight. While the iPod is in use, it is being powered - and charged - through the adapter.

The iPod Interface Wiring Harness will be available at Audi dealers by the end of the year.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's the way it looks to me....

the A3 is apparently the only model that is wired to allow both satellite and iPod. Now--I wonder if that goes for satellite and external CD-changer (such as PhatBox or the real thing) also???
Not that it matters to me 'cos I have the Nav...
Old 10-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To me, it seems it says no.

--------------
These models, WITHOUT optional satellite radio (except A3) or navigation, can now directly connect to an iPod with the use of this new iPod interface adapter.
--------------
Old 10-01-2005, 08:31 AM

Default It appears to me...

and my dealer's parts guy that indeed the A3 will be the only model that will support the iPod and Sat in the same system at the same time.

If that is true I am going to hold out for the factory approved setup. German electronics are fussy enough. I could mod right now to get both but in a lot of cases I would lose almost 4 years of warranty on my factory sound system.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I believe the Icelink VW changer adapter lets you have both, easily

I believe that are people on the fourtitude a3 forums who have gotten the dension icelink VW cd changer adapter (I20 VW T), which apparently is a simple plug in to the prewired glovebox cd changer connector. This would mean no need to take out the head unit -- apparently the cabling behind the head unit already has some sort of Y cable between the SAT and changer. Both the SAT and changer turn off automatically when you switch out of their individual modes, so there's no need to worry about hearing two sound sources at the same time (unless you manually hit play on your iPod while the SAT is playing).<ul><li><a href="http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/DENSION_I20_VW_T.html">Dension I20 VW T</a></li></ul>
Old 10-01-2005, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default The A3 is the only model which has the missing 3 Audio wires.

Based on what I read so far, the A3 has the audio left/right/gnd bridged in the back if no SAT receiver is installed. If it is installed then the SAT receiver functions as that bridge. At the head unit you can plug in a CD changer like device without loosing/needing SAT. However, if you already have a CD changer then even the Audi kit won't work.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ALL for your comments - can't wait to have one installed
Old 10-02-2005, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After all of this I-pod interface contemplation...

I ended up using the SD cards. I've got 2 1-gig cards. About 350 songs on each and to be honest, using them couldn't be easier. They cost about the same (the two 1-gig cards) as the Ice-link or Dinsion adapter but I don't have to worry about then trying to install the adapter or mount the I-pod or it sliding around in the glove box. Plus, with the SD-cards, you get song titles in the display, something you wont get with the I-pod adapters. Personally speaking, if you have Nav+, don't waste your time with the I-pod adapters, the SD-cards are much more convenient.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Audi's iPod interface news release - Am I reading this right?

What's the price tag on this adaptor?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 PM

five playlists?? why?

Quick Reply: Audi's iPod interface news release - Am I reading this right?