Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Bluetooth/Auto-Dimming Mirror....again

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth/Auto-Dimming Mirror....again

Hi all, great forum.

After EXTENSIVE reading, I've come to the conclusion that an aftermarket BT install isn't possible if one wants all the bells and whistles that come with the OEM install (most notably the DID address book info). I do see several posts about a Parrot solution that seems to provide pretty much all of the OEM functions except the aforementioned. Kudos to them.

So the question is, what makes it impossible to purchase the OEM BT parts from Audi, meaning what native function/part/interface does the non-factory BT setup lack? Entirely different Concert HU? For example, I know one can't (or shouldn't!) add aftermarket roof rails due to the drilling, painting, etc. required at the factory. THAT I get.

Same question on the auto-dimming mirror. I realize the 2008 convenience package also has the auto lights/wiper function, but I'm just interested in the mirror. Similar to the BT investigation, I've seen aftermarket mirrors, but I really prefer OEM. (Don't blast me for not ordering these options, I got a nice deal on a fantastic '08 that came from lease - just 6,700 miles.)

I know all the smart folks on this forum can help!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Bluetooth/Auto-Dimming Mirror....again

Anyone have any experience with this?<ul><li><a href="http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=60_61_1 01&amp;products_id=815">http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=60_61_1 01&amp;products_id=815</a</li></ul>
Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Yep - I've got it in my '07 with Concert II. Works super, has DID address + Steering wheel controls
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yep - I've got it in my '07 with Concert II. Works super, has DID address + Steering wheel cont

That's great! Did you install yourself? Any idea what the difference between a Concert and Concert II? My '08 is the double-din radio (single CD, no changer, etc), and just says, Concert on it.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 AM

Default Check the Fiscon website - the install instructions are in a PDF. Installation ..

is super easy - remove the radio, plug in the unit, run the mic wire out. After it's installed, you just hook up Vagcom and change one value.
I really like mine - talks super clear. The only downside I've found is there's no way to alphabetically access the phone book, and you have to scroll through a lot of numbers to get to an M. I worked around this by putting z's and spaces infront of my frequently used numbers, so they pop up first.
Mine's the single DIN - says Concert, but it's really a Concert II. I don't know about the '08 double Dins, but I think there's something in the instructions.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Check the Fiscon website - the install instructions are in a PDF. Installation ..

Took your advice and checked it out - thanks. Looks pretty OEM to me! I'm considering this - couple of questions?

-How/where did you run the mic? Assume through the A-pillar, was that difficult? I see they don't recommend the overhead light console route.

-Is there any speech/voice tag capability?

-Does the BT turn on/off with the ignition?

-Do you know of any differences other than the mic placement from the OEM kit?

-Was the VAG COM reset expensive, or did you do that yourself as well?

Really appreciate your posts.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Best I know, the Basic kit doesn't have any voice capabilities.

Bluetooth actually seems to work with key insertion. If you're in the car talking and turn off the ignition, bluetooth continues till you end the call and remove the key. If you're talking when you enter and fire up the car, it switches to handsfree seamlessly, and mutes the radio.
The mic cable was easy to run up the A pillar, they give you a nice little hook to secure it.
This unit can pull up missed, dialed, and received call lists to the display - I don't remember my daughter's factory unit doing this.
Did the vagcom myself, but it's a five minute deal - if you're car's in for service, they're almost always upgrading the ECU, and usually will make a minor change like this no charge if you're nice.
It's a very good unit - well worth the $375.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Best I know, the Basic kit doesn't have any voice capabilities.

You've been a huge help, can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice. Last Q I can think of is related to the mic - how did you run it from the BT unit over to the A-pillar, and was that part difficult (meaning did you have to remove a lot of parts)?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Default It's a real thin wire - just remove the lower dash, thread it around taped to a sharp rod. Or...

just mount the mic on the lower dash by the steering column, if you don't want to go to the trouble of removing the dash panel. You could probably get it there without removing anything, once you get it out of the center console.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Bluetooth/Auto-Dimming Mirror....again

Hey all, I'm really interested in this Fiscon solution, but I'm not nearly good enough at this stuff to install it myself. Is this something I could buy and then find a pro to install it for me? I'm in L.A.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth/Auto-Dimming Mirror....again