Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Can there be a DPF problem with the engine light coming on and loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can there be a DPF problem with the engine light coming on and loss of power?

Hi!

regarding the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF)

I have looked through the forum and haven't found something similar...

I was driving my 2006 a3 1.9 diesel at around 50 km/h when all of a sudden I experienced loss of power throughout all gears except 1st. I made it to my father's house and then about a half hour later I left for the market (only 1 km away). Again there was a loss of power. Leaving the market for home (1 km away), when I started the car, the engine light came on and the car ran fine all the way home.

Since we had to go to our mechanic to pick up our other car that was being fixed, we asked him the hook up his computer to the car and see if he could diagnose something.

He came back and told us there was something wrong with the DPF and it needed either cleaning or if it could not be cleaned, replaced. Just as a note, we trust this mechanic very well and he's always done a good job at a good price...

... however, I was a bit curious so I went online to do some research.

Base on what I found, I noticed that there is a DPF light in the car that should illuminate if there is a problem (then I should drive over 2000 rpms for some distance, etc.) I could not find anything linking the DPF with the engine light.

Now when we drove home from the mechanic, the engine light turned off... I did, to be sure, tighten the gas cap. Then the loss of power occurred again and the engine light was back on.

So my question is, can there be a DPF problem that is indicated by the engine light alone and can a DPF problem lead to power loss?

Based on my understanding, if there is a DPF problem, the DPF light should come on.

Thank you in advance and if any more details are needed I can try to answer.

Andy in Slovenia