Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

carbonio vs eip cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbonio vs eip cold air intake

what`s better? ur oppinion?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default carbonio, EIP is junk

It is junk because it extends the length which the air must travel in order to get "cool air", when there's already cold air at the front of the grill. In addition the EIP adds in a flow restrictive 90 degree bend and uses a poor-filtering K&N filter. In addition, the stock fog grille is closed, so you'd need cut it out or buy a new one ($50).

If you really want the EIP-look, get an ABD which is $50 cheaper and comes ceramic coated (which helps keep the air inside the tube cool).

Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default None of them are cheap.

I think the Carbonio is a good piece. I feel it's a lil overpriced. it's a wider than OE duct that connects the snorkel to the engine cover. the filter that it comes with is good quality and the unit is cf so I guess that is why it costs as much as it does. It's prolly one of the easier kits to install.

The EIP kit. I'm happy with it. I do a lot of car shows, so I was drawn to this kit. Looks GREAT. I think it helped performance wise. The car has never been faster. Summer to Winter drag strip results went from 14.55 to 14.167. Only additions were the CAI and the updated revo flash for CAI. When I put in the AIR-Flow grill I can feel and hear a small difference. Def a bit harder to install the EIP kit. Need to jack up the front end a bit, to get the filter in there and connected.

You only mentioned those two, but there are soo many choices now, it's unreal. The neuspeed kit seems really pricey if you want an EC, and lower tube.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The carbonio is priced less than your EIP

The CF has a heat barrier applied to it on the inside. It actually blocks out heat whereas the paint and metal tubed EIP conducts heat.

There's no reason to extend the tubing down to the foglight grille. You're not going to get any colder air down there than you will with a carbonio. Plus, everyone knows that you only prop up the EIP since they gave you one for free.

The carbonios are on sale for 15% off. I'd choose that over the EIP any day.

Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lol.I wish.

I will bet you $300 that I didn't.
Got my paypal ready? Sweet.

U love the Mine vs. Yours game though, I'll give ya that;P hahhaa. One is junk and the other is great. Go figure.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: carbonio, EIP is junk (opinions are like pee-holes....)

I have a carbonio as well, and I dig it, but I too wonder if the EIP or the ABD cold air intake would offer more power or better yet torque. Dave makes a good point about the ceramic coated tubing being a good insulator, but how hot does that compartment need to get to affect the temparature of the air passing through it? Will that temp be reached during normal use? How much HP or TQ could it really rob from your car? Has anyone actually concluded ,through a diagnostic study, that this theory holds water? Gentlemen, your thoughts......
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ceramic gives a gain of .0279hp and .02395tq due to .0982 temp variance

Approximately. Butt dyno results.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Think about it man . . . the whole theory behind relocating it in the fog light

is to get "colder" air. You can't get any colder air than up where the carbonio is. Lets put aside the benefits the design of the inlet gets you and just look at how far that "cold air" has to travel. Carbonio is a straight shot into the airbox whereas EIP has to go through a mild arc and then a 90 degree bend. Just by design, the carbonio flows better.

Also the EIP doesn't take care of the holes in the bottom of the airbox, so you're sucking in dirty unfiltered air. No ryan, that is not the same as the gasket they provide. There are additional holes in the airbox.

Dave
Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default *cough*

misinformation and self-promotion

do everyone a favor and stop

Dave
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are the replacment filters easy to find and are they at a good price?

The carbonio filters look to be a special fit. Could be wrong here, but it could cost a lot to replace a simple filter.

Quick Reply: carbonio vs eip cold air intake