Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Considering an A3, would like input

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an A3, would like input

Whatever car I pick up has to be fun to drive, to keep miles off the ferrari. I'm attracted to the practicality of A3 (throw dog in car and throw mountain bike on top), and the four doors for kid duty that I have from time to time. A long time bmw fan, the new cars leave me cold and I really am attracted to the vault like build quality of the new Audis.

Was thinking about an S4 Avant, but I really am not keen with spending that much and I'm not sure the S4 is really any more fun to drive due to the weight (though I love the sound of the motor).

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 AM

Default You might love the 2.0t. A very tunable engine and well priced for an Audi.

As far as the S4 Avant...a couple things to consider. IIRC, the S4 would be around 400ish lbs. heavier than the 2.0t A3 but have 140 more HP. You can, of course, chip the 2.0t but you are still looking at the S4 being ahead by about 80 HP. With the A3 2.0t you would not get those "feelings" you get with a NA V8. The S4 has a ton more street cred but probably around 16mpg. The A3 is much more of a sleeper and way better milage. If you are thinking the 3.2Q A3...well that is a whole other conversation. But from what you seem to want to do with it the 2.0t would suit your needs very well. Obviously, this would be your ride for "slumming it".
Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll have to drive

them both back to back, if possible. I've had a number of great cars over the years and have found that high price and more performance does not always equal more fun.

My first real car (GTI) was hilariously fun, though not that fast. My E36 M3 is more fun but slower than the E46 M3. I always thought the slower Miata was more fun to drive than the S2000 I owned. You get the picture.

The magazine reviews are pretty unified on one issue: the A3 is a fun car to drive. That, plus practicality, has me intersted. I'll try to drive one this week.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Sounds like you're banked up...so if it is fun to drive you want, chose the

A3 2.0T,IMHO. You can buy one in the low to mid 30s; 200Hp/207lb torq. You can row your own boat or let DSG shift for you (I prefer the 6MT). You'll get a thrill out of modding these cars like a lot of us have done on this and other forums. With your kind of dough, you can pop the 300hp+ bubble in no time. Oh yeah, the Open Sky is a must have option.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 AM

Default Here's what I was thinking:

Lava gray
6MT
Sport package
Xenons

Open Sky? Not sure about this.

Also, do the rear seats fold flat?

300 hp would be fun if the mods don't kill reliability and throttle response.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 AM

Default You may want to consider the factory(only) installed roof rails. If you are...

building your own that is.

Back seats fold mostly flat. Just a slight rise.

We love our black 3.2Q, but it is a PITA to keep clean. Same thing goes for the Lava grey from what I have been told.

Small things to think about.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory roof rails do not offer enough clearance for Open Sky when being used.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Excellent starting point :)

I'm at 15K now and my mods haven't given me too much problems if you don't count the occasional street races Throttle response will improve with the GO mods; however, you will definitely need better tires and you will need to tighten the drivetrain to account for the additional torque to the system. The latter will probably cost about $75 to fix. I've got these parts on the way plus a short-throw shifter kit. I should have them installed in the next week or two. BTW, once you get on the mod train you won't be able to get off...tell'em MD.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Considering an A3, would like input

I have an A4 3.0 Avant and have driven the A3 as a service loaner. If it is fun you want, get the A3.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:07 AM

Default yah, definitely after fun + practicality

things like pimpness, lux and speed covered elsewhere

Quick Reply: Considering an A3, would like input