Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dealer/Service question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer/Service question

If you buy from one dealer, can you have your maintenance done at another dealer? That is, does a dealer that didn't sell you the car have to honor the 4year/50,000 mile free maintenance, regardless of where you purchased from?

In addition, are they obliged to provide you with a loaner? (I would think this probably is dealer-specific)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Elder Member

Default Absolutely.

Stealers should not care where you bought the car.

As for the loaner, yes, in my experience, they should provide you with a loaner. That's part of the Audi Advantage.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can have the car serviced at any dealer. However, loaners

are usually reserved for cars that must stay overnight for one reason or another. Exceptions to the rule can be made for any number of reasons, including purchasing the car at that dealer. You are also more likely to get a same brand loaner instead of a rental car, if you service the car at the same dealer from which you purchased it. Again, if the dealer is known for discounting cars a lot, they probably don't have as nice or as many perks as a dealer charging a little more (of course that's only logical).

Book service as far ahead as you can, and as early in the day as you can. Request a loaner, and same brand loaner at that time. It may not happen, but it improves your chances.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dealer/Service question

I'm new to Audi but I assume it's the same as BMW or maybe even VW. In my experience it has been dealer-specific. There are no absolute obligations of any dealer to provide you with a loaner, at least a same brand one. My previous BMW dealer used to call it an "in house" loaner. I was fortunate with them in that they loaned me other 3-series loaners even though I didn't purchase my car through them.

I would think that when it comes to servicing your car however, it shouldn't make a difference to the respective service departments at any dealer as they get paid whether you bought your car through their dealer or not. It all comes from Audi as far as I know. If I'm wrong I'm sure April or someone can correct me.

Often times service dept. staff don't particularly get along with the sales staff so they could really care less who made money off of you, they get their's in the end no matter what.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, it depends on the relationship between sales and service.

You're right about that. In many cases it's GM (general manager), who decides policy. At our dealer, customers who bought cars there, certainly got first dibs on any available perks. We took pains to introduce them to certain service advisors and then later followed up with the SA if we really liked the customer, letting them know to take special care.

It also depends on resources at the dealer, since the sales dept at an Audi dealer usually breaks even at best, and the profit center is the service dept. If resources are scarce, you reward those who show some kind of loyalty.

Our dealer was combined VW and Audi, and most loaners were 2.0 Jettas or rental cars. Those poor Jettas. Bent wheels swapped for unbent ones, worn tires swapped for ones with more tread, bumpers swapped if colours matched, batteries swapped, other parts swapped, spilled food and drink, dirty baby diapers under the seats. You name it, people did it to those loaners. Obviously most of the pilfering came from people who had a Jetta - whether it was that car in for service or just sitting at home. The problem is those folks knew to drop the car off at night when there was only a receptionist on duty.

That's why rental loaners. Managing the loaner fleet is a huge job not only logistically, but to keep the cars in reasonable condition.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's nasty..

dirty diapers under the seats?!? LOL, that's pretty disgusting and I for one would not want to be in charge of maintaining the rental fleet.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Nobody did! Hence rental cars. Sucks that some people ruin it for everyone.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That definitely sucks alright.

I meant to say loaner fleet btw.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Gotcha;-)
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Written policy about loaners

OK, here's the deal:

I'm looking at two dealers. One has a written Alternate Transportation policy and has a very good track record and the other doesn't and their service dept has gotten very poor reviews. However, the latter claims that the reason for the poor service (not necessarily related to loaners, but to time it takes to get the car serviced) was due to fact that they were in a smaller facility, which was also servicing MB's and another brand, together with Porsche and Audi. They recently (9 months ago) moved to a brand new facility, which deals only with Audi and Porsche. You think that would take care of the problem, or is it a more general mentality issue?

What would your gut feeling be about this?

Quick Reply: Dealer/Service question