Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dealers can't get along

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers can't get along

I want to purchase an A3 from Audi of Charlotte, NC and a neighboring dealership has the car I want. I was dealing with both dealerships to get the best price but I want to purchase it from Charlotte because they're closer and have been friendlier. Charlotte only gives loaner cars if you purchase from them so thats another reason I want to get it there. Audi of Winston-Salem has the car and basically threatened me saying I have to purchase it from them and they won't trade it to the other dealer.

I can't believe there's a car I'm ready to buy today and I can't get it from my dealer of choice.

I can't convey everything that's gone down because most issues are 30% what I've described, about 40% body languange, and about 30% tone of voice so you'll have to take my word that Audi of WS is being a jerk.

Any advice? Does anyone have the number to a regional person I can contact to help get my car?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pay back time from the dealer...

this happens sometimes when you shop two dealer in the same area. Now you'll most likely end up buying it from the dealer that you don't want to deal with and you'll porbably pay more for it than you want.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The problem is that dealers are independent franchisees

and there is no requirement that they get along. AoA has very little say in the matter, but you can certainly speak to an advocate and see if they can't add some pressure.

Audi Distribution Center: 888-777-9336
Audi Customer Advocate: 800-822-2834

mail:
Audi Customer Relations
3499 W. Hamlin Road
Mail Stop 2-West
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

This can be one of the hazards of cross-shopping for a particular car. I've had plenty of customers outsmart themselves doing this. You're doing what all the bargain hunter advisors suggest, but it usually works best on more common combos/cars. If time isn't of the greatest issue, have the dealer you like order a car, or trade for something incoming, but perhaps some time away.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Dealers can't get along

I wouldn't pay much attention to the loaner line. The fact is that the dealership will make more money from servicing the car over it's lifetime than from selling it. This is especially true with the low margin A3.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Unless policy has changed, dealers don't need to give you a loaner unless the car needs to

stay overnight, and then the budget allowed by AoA is around $27 dollars, which is good for some sub-compact econo-box from a local rental agency. Dealers often have a few nicer loaners, but save those for loyal customers.

The nicer dealer is also closer, according to JakeMate.

Just depends on how much you value that kind of thing.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Local is worth it - Go to Charlotte, get serious and try to transfer. If not, order from them.

BTW - I shopped online with Charlotte, W-S, Greensboro, Cary, and Greenville. Here's what happened:

Winston-Salem - said they'd send a quote, never did.
Greensboro - online person seemed like a maniac but offered 1K off sticker.
Charlotte - also would go 1K off, Will was very nice to speak with.
Cary - would only go $300 off sticker
Greenville - has my business.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Dealers can't get along

Is your money, if they dont want it....go somewhere else. The buyers (You) are in position of power, not the sellers.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Default audi of hawaii seems fine!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:40 PM

Default I wouldn't deal with a dealer that is trying to play hard ball with you

Sure you were talking to them about a car, but your preference is to deal with Charlotte, then do it...but WS owns the car you want. You will have to wait until another one comes available from a third dealer or the next shipment arrives.

Tough situation to be in...good luck.

As for service loaners, I always get one from my dealer when I give them time to book it, and it is always an Audi. I have purchased 3-A4/S4 from them in 8 years, and they will definitly get my next purchase. Service the customer and the customer keeps coming back.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Didnt know that Audi's dont give out loaners for service

Wow, so VW isn't a bad choice after all!

Quick Reply: Dealers can't get along