Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dension Ice-Link on Concert II Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dension Ice-Link on Concert II Stereo

I have a new-style A3 with a Concert II stereo.

Will the Ice-Link work with the Concert II?? It mentions a Concert on the Dension web-site but nothing about the Concert II.

Is the Ice-Link a worthwhile purchase? I currently use an itrip for my ipod but I'm not that impressed with it.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 AM

Dunno, but I am in the same boat...well, I am waiting for a sportback I ordered
Old 02-11-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Dunno, but I am in the same boat...well, I am waiting for a sportback I ordered

I have a 3.2 A3 with a concert 2, Bose and an ice>link.

After a very annoying week of trying to get the bloody thing working - it works a treat... but the Dension interface & firmware is notoriously useless to say the least. So install it, stick it on the Apple user interface (Activate Apple UI) and it works like a glorified AUX input.
It also charges it and lets you flick << and >> through your tracks with the buttons on your Head Unit.

Now it works it sounds awesome and in my opinion, better than CD's (suprisingly)!!!!

JUST NEVER UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE and steer clear of the Dension interface.

www.hackmycar.com has loads of stuff on the ice>link...including some of my early 'rage' posts!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Dunno, but I am in the same boat...well, I am waiting for a sportback I ordered

Thanks for that.

Bit confused with your jargon though. My fault, I'm a boring accountant and have no knowledge of anything technical.

So are you saying all you need is the standard Audi Ice-Link but to ignore the software?

Just making sure, it'll work on a Concert II with no multichanger?

A rather pathetic sounding Ginger Elvis
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 AM

it'll work fine, and you will need the software.

But when you first put it in, you'll notice that your ipod changes to a Dension interface, not the apple interface. (interface is the display/menu on your ipod)
The Dension interface/menu system is very fiddly, unstable and has a mind of it's own,

so...

One of the Dension menu options is "activate Apple UI"
This then switches your interface (display) over to the Apple interface that you will be used to.

Then in theory it works like it works with your headphones, You plug it in and sound comes out of your car's speakers... easy!
+ you have the added bonus of it charging and being able to flick << and >> through the tracks.

unless you know what you're doing... i'd get it proffessionally installed, and get them to activate the Apple UI... otherwise you'll be pulling your 'ginger' hair out within minutes!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Couldn't agree more

Fitted an Icelink->Plus to my A3 (new style) 2 weeks ago, with the Symphony 2 Head unit. Works like a treat, although the interface is naff.

Was a bit worried when I bought the car, 'cause the Symphony 2 has the 6 disk changer built-in. Shouldn't have worried, it appears as a second CD changer... Sweet.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Can you use both CD and iPod ?

With the icelink can you swithc between the iPod and the CD changer or do you have to dump the CD changer ?
If the latter, do you know of an adapter that will permit the use of both ?