Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Do any of you miss the manual trans after moving to the DSG system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you miss the manual trans after moving to the DSG system?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On my second test drive I realized it's just a fast-shifting tiptronic without a torque converter.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

indeed . . . with more torque steer than the manual version and a burp everytime you shift
Old 11-20-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do any of you miss the manual trans after moving to the DSG system?

I don't think I'll miss manual much. It's like quitting smoking; you get used to the physical motion of it -- to the motion of moving the shifter and the clutch play. Get over that and you still have the same control as you have in a manual car, besides it downshifts like a champ! Let's see a tiptronic blip the gas when it downshifts!

I'm stoked! I'm ordering my 3.2Q tomorrow after driving nothing but manual all my life. I can't wait.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not entirely true

you cant slip the clutch or shift from 5th to 3rd like you can with a manual. The level of control is not there... but its close enough for most people.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What is clutch slipping?

Only thing I can come up with is sitting on an incline where you would use the clutch to stop you from rolling backwards while you wait for the **** in front of you to start moving.

WRT 5>3, you can do that in DSG, but if you are talking about the physical pull-push motion of the stick from 5 to neutral to 3, then ya, but that's a small price to pay, IMO.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default example.

at an autocross over the summer I had to do a rolling start. With quattro I lost all of my advantage of launching hard. SO to re-gain the sudden acceleration that quattro can provide I would roll to the start line at ~5mph then press the clutch and rev the engine while rolling then do a rolling launch. Which sorta consists of letting out the clutch while mashing the throttle at rates that are not really good for the clutch but are right at the limit of slippage. A FWD car or RWD car would spin its tires, quattro bites and takes off. Essentially re-gaining the advantage of AWD at a rolling start. I was not the only AWD car using this technique. There were several subarus doing the same.

You cant do that with a DSG gearbox, launch control doesnt work with rolling starts.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not an owner, but I test drove the DSG and came away impressed

I am an admitted manual tranny snob, but one drive in the DSG was enough to convince me it is not the traditional slushbox. Granted this test drive was only on local streets, and the place I'd be able to really see how it performs is an auto-x, for daily driving it seemed very capable of performance driving.

I know it won't hold a gear and bump the rev limiter which is occasionally useful in autox, I can't see how any sane driving on the streets would require this. (If you're driving like that on the streets, you're an a$$ and you know it. )

For all out performance, it is good, not perfect; for street driving it is more than capable of being a great option...now hopefully reliability will not be an issue like so many Audis, including our A4.

/bill
Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Default 6 weeks in a DSG from a used-to-be dedicated manual driver

I originally started car shopping with one definite thing in mind: I'm getting a manual. I've always been a manual snob. However, I was sold on DSG after the first test drive. There's enough on this forum re: how the DSG performs (it's awesome), but here are my constructive criticisms of the DSG after 6 weeks driving it.

1) You can't tell what gear you're in as well as a manual. The use of touch is gone. You can only tell audibly (hard to tell sometimes since the car is quiet) and based on the small gear # indicator in the gauge cluster. With a manual, you can tell with your hand what gear you're in.

2) You can't roll to a stop or down a hill in neutral like with a manual. The A3 manual says only enter into D from N while stopped. I've gone N->D and visa versa while driving without any issues but since the manual says not too, I rarely do.

3) Since the US DSG controller does not have launch control, we're limited to off-idle starts off the line which kinda sucks. Definitely have more flexibility with engine rpm launch points with a manual. There is no way to modulate clutch slip on the DSG like on a manual.

4) The DSG shifter is not ideal for manual shifting. I'd much prefer a manual-like **** over the auto-like shifter Audi decided to use in the A3 here. The Jetta GLI DSG shifter is more appropriate although it looks like an Infiniti 6-speed **** (not so hot).

5) My left foot gets bored with the DSG.

6) Lack of vibration through your left foot (clutch) and right hand (shifter) makes you feel less connected to the car.

All these complaints considered, I'm glad I went with the DSG. Easy to drive in traffic, hauls butt, and other non-sticker drivers can enjoy driving the car also. Win-win in terms of flexibility and performance with reasonable compromises.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: example.

Launch Control is disabled on the North American cars, right?

Quick Reply: Do any of you miss the manual trans after moving to the DSG system?