Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DSG Problem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG Problem solved!

Am so relieved. For a couple years now, I guess, my 2007 A# S-line (2.0T, APR SW, Fuel Pump and Exhaust system) has just shifted "badly". When I would step on the gas it would hesitate and garb then. Like how a car would drive with someone who was bad at shifting a manual transmission (). It didn't do some of the more dramatic things I have now read about a DSG doing so it was hard for me to isolate or describe to a mechanic. My great German repair guy here in LA felt it and found 2 engine mounts needed replacing which seemed it would contribute to the problem if the engine was slipping upon acceleration. It seemed "better" but still not smooth. Since it had happened for so long I began to think it was just the way it was with my APR aftermarket software and a DSG (non automatic) transmission. In July, I bit the bullet and purchased a (Platinum level) extended warranty. I had my car into Santa Monica Audi and they noticed a fault in the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Since I had only purchased the Extended less than 30 days before, we agreed it would be better to wait a month or two. I just got it back yesterday after 16 days in the shop (long story; including a week delay for parts from Germany). It is AMAZING! That was the issue, it would seem. They replaced the TCM and the Mechatronic unit (since they are integrated in the A3). It drives like a whole new car now and I am back in love again. The way it had been, with all the urban driving I do, it was just no fun at all. In reviewing the forum, it seems others have had similar and worse TCM/Mechatronic issues. Has anyone else experienced what I have described?

I was just about to trade the A3 in (was looking seriously at a Tiguan SEL) but now am not so sure...
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm glad you got it fixed. My TCM had to be replaced a couple months ago.

Mike
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
I'm glad you got it fixed. My TCM had to be replaced a couple months ago.

Mike
Was it doing that same thing? Or? Or was it just a fault showing?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^^
While driving, my DSG suddenly wouldn't allow any manual shifting and had the dreaded flashing 'PRNDL' indicator. Ironically, the DSG only acted up for a short time. After the car was parked and I did some shopping everthing seemed fine. But, just in case, I drove it to the dealer the next morning and explained what happened and they checked the car out, ran some tests, and decided that a new TCM was needed. That was that.

My '08 R32 had some DSG issues too but, they were a little more serious. While slowing, the DSG would down-shift but, when you got back on the accelerator, nothing would happen and the car would sit there like it was in neutral. It would take several seconds (which seemed like several minutes...especially when oncoming traffic is approaching) before the car would react and begin accelerating. This DSG issue left me in some pretty hairy situations when making left turns...
It too had the TCM replaced.

Mike
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the TCM basically a computer chip, or a mechanical device, or a combination of the two? Has this problem been solved in newer models?