Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Euro Plates legal to run in Utah?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Euro Plates legal to run in Utah?

Okay I'm a Scot living in the states and have orderd the A3 (due May 26th - jeez some wait!).

I hate the way utah plates look on the front of Audi's.

1) Am I legal without any front plate, I hear some states are like that.

2) If a front plate is required can I run with my Utah number on a Euro style plate?

3) If the answer to 2) is yes can I run a rear euro plate as well?

Cheers
Old 03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Euro Plates legal to run in Utah?

The local DMV website should tell you the answers. Typically if they give you two plates you need to run with two plates.

The plates are not a suggestion, some states are pretty adamant about you using the ones they issued as opposed to the one you obtained elsewhere. ;o)

/bill
Old 03-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Euro Plates legal to run in Utah?

Being from Utah I can answer your question.

1. Front plate is required in Utah. A bill to not require it was just defeated narrowly the last session. Apparently not making the plate will save the state huge dollars but some people are still convinced the front plate is needed for law enforcement purposes.

2. Can you run a plate on a Euro style plate? Well yes you can do anything but you do so knowing that it is illegal and you risk a ticket. Law is that both front and back be state issued plates.

But go to any dealer and you will see that a good number of cars on the lot have the euro filler plate. If yours comes with the us plate slot simply ask to have it swapped and they will. The filler plate looks classy enough that only a real jerk cop would give you a ticket. But I think an actual euro plate would look quite "gaudy" to most cops and would almost assure a citation if you were ever pulled over. And I know people like to display culture and have preferences to looks. But euro plates belong in europe. This is not europe. Go with the filler or stick the standard plate on. Just my opinion.