Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Explanation: Turbo vs. NA at Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yeah.. that can still be affected

That essentially is the time when the car is still NA, need to get air into the motor to produce heat to get the turbo spooled. So time too requested would be slower.

Actually an interesting test, not sure how close you are to mtns. But doing some logs at low altitude and high altitude to see what the change in requested boost is.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: no you don't need to explain again you need to pay attention

PD thanks for the explanation--glad to see better heads around to account for what I feel with a turbo at higher altitude. This certainly makes sense.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So you're confirming that the program will compensate for altitude if additional boost is available?

And obviously there's less headroom when you're running chipped, using all available boost already.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: no you don't need to explain again you need to pay attention

Logger, I respect your opinion from the first go round, but I don't think this thread has exactly clarified or resolved the issue of turbos at altitude.

These theories(at least as presented) about available or reserve boost, and how that may be called upon by a turbo engine in varying air densities is not engine, model, or even auto specific.

Cooler heads may be prevailing here, but I don't know if they're necessarily more knowledgeable ones.

There are several issues which come into play with the car turbo here such as ECM, A/F, emissions, bypass, internal heat limitations, etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Look.....

I think you're basically right, but the value seems to be closer to 3% per 1000'.

An aircraft handbook is a good reference because the engines work on the same principle, and because the effects of altitude are thoroughly documented.

Everything else seems right, except we know the VAG ECU program does not use all available boost. That is why these engines respond so well to tuning, and it's also why unchipped engines can adapt to altitude without losing power: basically, the computer turns up the boost to compensate for thinner air.

I'm thinking OEM peak torque can be maintained as high as 8000-9000 feet because, as the tuners have proven, there's a lot more boost to be had at peak torque. But peak power probably starts to drop off much lower -- maybe even below 4000 feet. There's just not that much more boost available at peak power.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big stuff is about 4 hours from here, but I might be able to run some logs this Summer.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM

Default What don' you get about the fact that the car can vary boost at altitude to get the same power

BAsically tahts all a chip is doing.. varying boost.. ITs all the car does in different climates.. varies boost..

take a look at block 006 field 4 and get back to me on what the car is and isn't doing.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/001-009.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/001-009.html</a</li></ul>
Old 03-08-2006, 02:05 PM

Yes it can compensate for altitude and temperature.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: What don' you get about the fact that the car can vary boost at altitude to get the same power

yes, to some extent, with some loss, and with resultant heat issues(harder working) that may then be controlled by ECM(dialed back). this is not a straight correlation of 'on demand' turbo power compensating by simply calling on extra boost. check it out.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Yes there will be more heat but that is more dependent on the IC system to control it

AT higher altitude you may have lower temps then sea level so you will have cooler inlet temps which will result in cooler outlet temps given teh same boost level.. Not to mention the ambient air being cooler will have a greater effect on cooling through the IC system

The point is the car has the ability to read ambient temp (inlet) and post intercooler temp, also pressure in the system and ambient. Not to mention the MAF reading air coming in.. and the 02 sensor reading air coming out.

The car can figure out EXACTLY how much power its putting out and that is what is being requested not boost.

Doesn't matter if the incerase in boost results in slightly hotter charge temps it has the ability to request say another psi of boost to compensate for the increased charge temps.

Example say at sea level the car neeeds 10psi at X rpm to get 200hp. Lets for arguments sake say that the engine makes 100hp without boost so the 10psi is worth 10hp each. This is simply for units to make a point. I understand that at elevetion that 100hp from no boost may be 95hp.. thats besides the point.

So say at altitude that for each 1psi you get now only 8hp.. So you now have 80hp or 180 total. So the ECM says ok run 13psi.. you now have added 24hp to the equation. FActor in some slight loss of effciency for heat (which again is almost negligible with our IC system if you actually did some research on it before commenting).. and a few hp to make up for the loss of the intial 100na hp you are now back at roughly 200hp with 13psi instead of 10psi.

REally not a difficult concept to grasp at all.

Quick Reply: Explanation: Turbo vs. NA at Altitude