Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Finally, it's here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, it's here...

Today i got delivery of my S3, almost 6 months after i ordered it, eventhough i do not have registration plates yet, since that would mean staying at the dealer one more day...
Exterior colour (Mineral Grey) is even better than i though, and i am very pleased with it.
Silver leather is even better...The combination is great, and makes a nice constrast with the rear lights. Finally the sunroof is nice, doesn't rattle so far at all.
First modification on the car?
The tyres of course. It came with P6000, hence the car was taken to a friend and the P6000's were exchanged with Yokohama AVS's for a cost of approx. 280 UKP.
So far i am very pleased with the car. Some of my nores are that the xenons are not so bright (compared to BMW), difference between xenons and high beam is not that noticable, one of the front wipers needs re-alighnment, since while in use gets in contact with the other one.
Tomorrow, i will be getting the license plates with all the necessary paperwork, hence i will have more comments. I am also going to fit the an after-market DV i have, and use the VAG-Tool.I will be posting some pics shortly...

Finally, i have one question for all those with S3's. Is it normal to hear some clicking noise from the engine bay while the engine is running???I think it comes from the passenger side, but it sounds strange.

Nikos
2001 S3
Mineral Grey
Silver Leather
Sunroof
Old 11-16-2000, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Clicking...

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a3/msgs/6312.phtml">Long thread about clicking noise from engine</a></li></ul>
Old 11-17-2000, 05:59 AM

Default Aftermarket DV installed today...

I had the Bailey Valve installed today. The OEM was the H type, but i changed it just to be sure that there will be no problem in the future. The result is that the "noise" from the turbo has increased a bit (very nice), the car seems to pull better even from low RPM's, and there engine sounds and feels more refined while lifting off, etc. Note, that the aftermarket DV was not possitioned in the same manner as the OEM...since that is the normal way for a turbo car.

More information comming up shortly.

Nikos.
Old 11-17-2000, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket DV installed today...

Please Nikos, can you explain what you mean with
"Note, the aftermarket DV was not positioned in the same manner as the OEM... since that is the normal way for a turbo car."
Do you mean where the valve is placed or how it is connected.

Thanx,

Robert
Old 11-18-2000, 07:38 AM

Robert,

what i mean is that i changed the orientation of the original valve. The way the valve is positioned on almost all turbo cars, is with the high pressure (i.e. pipe coming from the turbo) fasing the bottom of the diaphragm/piston. That was not the case in my S3, neither on the 1.8T engine found on the cars with the A3 platform (Golf, TT, A3, Skoda,Seat, etc...). If you check the same unit in an A4, the valve is possitioned as i originally state. Hence, i fit the aftermatket valve as in most turbo cars. I was told that there will be no problem fitting the valve, either way, since it is of a piston-type.
There are many threads in the TT forum is you are interested for more information.

Nikos.
Old 11-18-2000, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info Nikos, now I understand.

By, Robert
Old 11-19-2000, 10:40 AM

NIKO , KALORIZIKO...and don't fly too high ;-)
Old 11-19-2000, 11:01 AM

Default Niko , about the Bailey DV.....

Did you change it by yourself?
How match you paid for it and does it sounds a lot?
(You know, "tsaf-tsuf"..etc..)
Old 11-19-2000, 01:54 PM

Default Thanx,too bad it is raining hard, all day today...

Kosta,

i had it changed at an VW service centre, but it is very easy to do it yourself. I was just passing by,said hallo to a friend of mine that did the service on my Golf, and he offered to do the change. If you want more information, tell me to send you a url with quite a lot of interesting things. The url has been posted quite a lot of times.
The DV makes no sound (up to 4000RPM's, since i am running in the car for the time being), but the "noise" from the turbo has increased a bit. The engine now sounds more refined. The cost was 107UKP including delivery to Greece, but it took about 4 monhts for the thing to finally arrive, due to the ammount of orders...Availability is a major problem.

If you need any more info, please let me know.

Nikos.