Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

First impressions: A6 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2000, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions: A6 1.8T

Hi,

Some of you who have been reading this forum for a while will be aware that my A3 1.8T has some build quality problems. This week my A3 is with the dealer having these problems investigated and hopefully fixed.

For my courtesy vehicle the dealer has given me a new-ish A6 1.8T (7600 miles on the clock). And it's the first time ever that I've had a courtesy car that is BIGGER than my own car, excellent! So I thought I'd share with you my first impressions of the A6.

Obviously, the first thing that hits you is the A6's size. When you are used to driving a small car like the A3, the prospect of driving something as big as an A6 is a bit frightening. But once inside and on the road, amazingley, it drives like a smaller car. You forget that there is a big bonnet(hood) out in front of you, and a boot(trunk) almost as big sticking out the back. And judging distances around the car is pretty easy. But I haven't tried reverse parking yet!

The interior finish and build quality is, and I'm sorry to say it, way ahead of the little A3. The quality of materials is just the same - excellent. But their fitting together is just something else. The interior feels *so* solid and well put together, I can only dream of my A3 being like this. The style of the interior is also excellent. There is a brushed aluminium trim running around the inside of the car, on a level with the air vents, which looks fantastic. Giving both a sporty and luxury feel. The seats are extremely comfortable, and have electronic height adjustment. Leg room for all passengers is very good, and the boot is just cavernous!

Peformance. It's worth saying, that before I drove this 1.8T A6 I thought, "it's going to be slow in comparison to the A3" and "I'll probably not be able to hear the engine." How wrong I was!!! This car is not only quick, but it SOUNDS ABSOLUTLEY FANTASTIC!! And I can't stress that enough. In terms of acceleration, the A3 1.8T certainly has the A6 beat. However in the mid range, in gear acceleration, I don't think there is *that* much difference. But the A6 does seem to have a better throttle response. It also accelerates smoother, and on throttle lift-off the revs drop smoother. My A3 tends to lurch a bit.

What is definitely different between the two cars 1.8T engines is the sound. I don't know the reason, I don't know what Audi have done, but that A6 sounds brilliant! Plant your foot in second gear all the way to 7000 rpm, and the sound is out of this world. You hear the turbo, you hear the engine, you hear brilliant induction noise. It makes my A3 sound like a 1 litre Nissan Micra!! If only my A3 sounded like this A6!

On to handling. Obviously the A6 is designed for comfort, the A3 1.8T for sporty handling. So it would be unfair to compare the two. So on its own, the A6 is an excellent ride. But a bit spongy, even on long motorway bends. Plus the car does seem to get knocked of line a bit by side winds, and because of the light steering, it does take you by surprise. Don't get me wrong, there is good steering feedback, but obviously not to the level of the A3.

Would I have an A6 1.8T? Yes. This is the first car of this size and class I've ever driven. It is certainly a car I could live with every day. Perhaps the handling could be a little more sporty, because with an engine that sounds like this one does, you just want to drive with your foot to the floor all the time!!

Cheers,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 03-07-2000, 03:30 AM

Default Re: First impressions: A6 1.8T

Thanks for the information. I 'm always interested in hearing impressions about other models.
Probably a re chip and better / stiffer dampers and /or springs would make a vast difference
I agree with the interior comments, our A4 is better than the A3, the A3 is ok but the A4 and A6 are just better!
It is still a big car
Old 03-07-2000, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi Driver...

Was that your letter and picks in Audi Driver?

If it was, did you test drive the yellow S3? If so what was it like?

Cheers,

Alan.
Old 03-07-2000, 04:16 PM

Default Re: First impressions: A6 1.8T

I have driven all the audi range on a dealer test day at a local Manor house and I thought the A3 was quite harsh but still quick, but when I tried an S4 even though it was an avant(someone had taken the sump off the saloon in the morning on a cattlegrid...ouch!) it made the S3 look like a Golf 1.4, the build was far superior, not quite so tight but alot more grip, and the sound was something else, but the price, I am going to wait a few years for a good secondhand model as I can't stretch to 40 grand just yet
Old 03-08-2000, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Audi Driver...

Guilty!
I have also sent in some words to go with the picture.

It was really great to drive.
The local dealer knows of my interest in all things Audi, and I (well my wife has) have backed it up with cash, an A41.8T Sport in 1996 an A4 1.8T quattro Sport last July.

They have offered me a TT drive but it was the S3 I was particularly interested in and of course I was not going to turn down the offer was i.
I picked it up Friday at 5pm and was told to bring it back by midday Saturday but please no more than about 200 miles.
After tea we went out to play until about 10pm and did 120 miles. I eventually prised wife away from the wheel ! She admits that she finds it difficult to adapt to new vehicles but it took her about two miles !!

The smoothness and torque was fantastic I was less impressed with the seats , lights are truly brilliant.
It was raining hard all evening and we were able to check out the traction and handling, nothing wrong with either.
I reset the computer when I picked the car up and it was reading something like 32mpg when I took it back.

It was really as a result of this experience that I bought the A3 1.8T in December and whilst it is not a S3 on this occasion driving a lesser version afterwards has not been too much of a hardship.

The dealer is about to have a TT roadster as a demo-------- I've earmarked a drive!

E-mail me but please remember it is a work address, chris.grant@rbwm.gov.uk
Old 03-08-2000, 09:42 AM

Default Interesting!

Hi Alan,

Lucky bugger getting such a nice car for loaner - usually smallest car in base spec with diesel motor! Shame you didn't get to thrash it up to Scotland last w/end!

Interesting observations however, I drove the A4 1.8T Avant whilst shopping for my A3 and my views are very different, I felt the A4 (me and salesman) felt markedly slower than the A3 (me, girlfriend and salesman) and the same test route. I did not notice any real diffrence in engine noise although as you say, the handling is way off in the larger cars. OObviously, you have the A6, but its hard to imagine such a difference - lucky surprise for you!

I am also interested to hear you say that your A3 sounds like a 1.0 Micra, firstly what have you been doing driving a 1.0 Micra and secondly in what respects are they similar. I think my a3 sound very nondescript (probably due to quietness) below 4000, but after takes on quite a hard edge roar, similar to the old 5 cylinder 2.2 engines. I know that there are differences in models exist - but to such a huge degree???

Interesting also (I'll stop using that word soon!) that you describe this characteristic in conjunction with the other faults, low mpg etc etc, I wonder if they are related.

Anyway, enjoy the A6 - and best of luck in getting the A3 back to normal!

Regards

David
Old 03-08-2000, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Interesting!

David,

Funny post!

Yes it would have been nice going up to Scotland in an A6 whilst on the m-way, but not on those fantastic scottish (principal) A roads!

Yeah, I think the engine note of the A3 1.8T is very understated. You really should hear this V-reg A6 1.8T, it sounds so much better. Go down to your dealer and test drive one - it's a must.

About the Micra. I drove one a year or so ago, when my Astra 2.016v Sport was in the bodyshop. It was just a whinning little engine. And my A3 honestly reminds me of that sound. It's too quiet, and once it gets going, it's just not throaty enough.

It is surprising that there is such a difference between the models. I had a look under the bonnet yesterday, and the air-box is massive in comparison to the A3's, and is also right towards the front of the car on the drivers side. The air intake for it is short and goes directly to the front grill area. Maybe that's it?! Plain simple better induction noise?!

I've wondered if engine sound, lack of mpg, turbo/wastegate chatter (if that's what the sound is), are all related. I hope they are, and the dealer spots it, and gets is sorted. Ooops! Sorry, I just fell asleep and started dreaming!

Cheers,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T etc. etc.
Old 03-09-2000, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default David, by the way..

120 was reached in Scotland.