Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

is this a good price for an A3 2.0t?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good price for an A3 2.0t?

the dealer showed me the invoice sheet and it was stated at $29,497 for a 2006 A3 2.0t, Arctic White w/ Black Leather.

MSRP: $31,150

Options were:
DSG
Bi-Xenon
Premium Package
Phone Prep w/ Bluetooth
Open Sky

The car had 320 miles on the Odometer.

good deal? thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 PM

Default 320 miles seems very high...test drives are never kind...

either way, check edmunds to see what others in your area are paying.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 AM

Default You have listed MSRP and Invoice prices; what is the offer price?

It is *my* notion to decrement a new car's value $1 per mile on the odometer: Ideally a new car has damn-near 0 miles on it, hence damn-near no adjustment. Of course, dealers love to tell you that the car is "new" as long as it has not been titled and has less than 4900 miles on it. Hogwash!

I recently cancelled a deal on a 2006 A3 2.0T ($200 over dealer cost; $100 doc fee, tax, registration extra) because there were substantially more miles on the car than we (dealer and I) originally bargained over. With my $1/mile rule, the dealer would have lost money (purportedly), but I would not accept a "new" car with more than twice as many miles as this car you speak of without that price adjustment.

Based on my experience and action, you should pay no more than invoice, period.

But I still don't like the idea of purchasing a "new" car -- particularly if you want to keep it for several years (post-warranty) -- with 320 miles on it...

I plan on ordering a 2007 and driving it off the lot with <30 miles on it.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with those miles, I want 1K below invoice
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 AM

Default i managed to get invoice right away

with the milage on the car, i am starting to feel reluctant to purchase this particular vehicle.

DSG is wonderful.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 AM

Default "... feel reluctant...". I think you're resolving your own quandary here (as I did).

There will always be more cars to be had, more deals to be had, regardless of what impression the dealer may be conveying now.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are you buying a car or deal? If you like that specific car, and the dealer is willing to negotiate

then it might be a good deal for you. However, if it's just the discount that is catching your eye and you'd rather have another combo, then don't get this car.

The dealer isn't going to lose (potentially a lot of) money to sell a car - they are a business, not a charity. So it all depends if they have some kind of trunk money (a few cars did - and it was available to only a select number of dealers). Sometimes they do need to take a loss, but if the number is too large, then it is a reasonable gamble to hold onto the car a while longer and see if they can't get at least a little closer to breaking even. Just giving you an insight into what happens inside the dealer.

In the grand scheme of things $1000 shouldn't be the primary concern when you're already spending $30,000. Making sure you get a car you'll like for a long time is the main goal, since turning cars over often is what really costs you big bucks in the long run.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wise advice!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Agreed.

to answer April, i guess id be willing to buy the car if the deal is right. the A3 i am looking at isn't spec'ed exactly as i would have it, and the milage is higher than desired. i also spec'ed a 2006 A3 on both KBB and edmunds, and both sites returned a lower "Invoice" price than what i was quoted at the dealer (which makes me angry, are they lying or slipping in more money somewhere).

i like the A3, love the DSG, but i guess my time to own an audi will be sometime in the future.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I can attest to that !

It does pay to get it right the first time, if it's possible based on your personality ;-). 1K over however long the period of financing, leasing is not a big deal; but based on what looks like a demo, if he really loves it, I'd try and get the best price possible, without alienating anyone. You may need to take it back there one day for, let's say, your open sky latch or something;-)

Quick Reply: is this a good price for an A3 2.0t?