Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Has anyone resolved the Geiger Counter dash noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone resolved the Geiger Counter dash noise?

Hello everyone,

My 2011 A3 2.0l has a battery drain so bad I have to disconnect the negative battery terminal each time I park the car. I have noticed that as soon as the negative battery lead is put to the battery, there is a noise identical to a Geiger counter coming from area under the wiper motor on the driver side. I have ripped the driver side of the car apart searching for the Geiger counter, had the wiper arms off and everything. I checked every fuse looking for the drain, still the Geiger counter crackles away as soon as the battery is reconnected. I’m on battery number two. I have noticed the hazards are on when I get in the car immediately after reconnecting the battery. I assumed that was the alarm wondering what the hell was going on, no alarm sound activated however. The Geiger Counter is somehow hidden somewhere under the wiper motor area, it’s louder under there than inside the car.

I have read the forums describing a similar noise coming from the area around the hazard warning light, but my noise somewhere below the windscreen, above the driver side fuses, behind the wiper motor area. I have ordered a mechanic’s stethoscope to try to find the exact location. Has anybody had the same issue?

Many thanks in advance!