Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Heart Attack... Interior alarm or wiring problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heart Attack... Interior alarm or wiring problem?

I nearly had a heart attack this morning. I unlocked my A3 with the remote, opened the door, and the stereo system emitted a piercing horn like tone. The volume level was so loud, you could not get into the car. I closed the door, and attempted to shut off the sound using the lock/unlock buttons on the remote. No effect. Finally, I plugged my ears, got into the car, and started the ignition. The sound went away.

What the hell is going on??? I check the manual, and while there is an anti theft system, it makes no mention of the interior sound. Is this part of the alarm system?

I should mention that I had the audio system upgraded a couple of months ago: Speakers and Amp. I kept the Nav+ radio. I spoke with the car stereo shop today, and they are puzzled. I have a call into the dealer too.

Can anyone clue me into what happened?

Chris

A3/NAV/BLUE/XENON/COLD/OPEN
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Heart Attack... Interior alarm or wiring problem?

Mine has done the same thing twice. It definatley wakes you up. I have no idea what causes it. I also upgraded the sound sytem amp and subs and kept the stock hu. I'll ask my installer and let you know what he thinks.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Yes, this puzzled me mightily...

The amp gets its turn on signal from the RNS-E, but that turn on signal with RNS-E cars - and cars with Bluetooth - is on at many times whether the RNS-E is on or not.

But once it IS on, the amp doesn't have any way of changing states when the key turns on... it knows if it should be on or not, and that's it.

So my suspicion (based solely on circumstantial evidence) is that the RNS-E turned the amp on, and screamed at it through the preamp outputs.

I suppose the Bluetooth module could have done this too... but it went through the RNS-E.

Even if I stipulate the amp failing in some exotic way, then the problem vanishing with key-on doesn't fit.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 PM

bluetooth chime of DEATH ?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Called the dealer...

First he said there was an interior alarm, then when I pressed him, he admitted he really did not know.

Grrrrrr... can't anyone just give me a straight answer!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's part of the security system.

It's an interior alarm that is generated by the head unit. It is supposed to deter people from stealing the OEM stereo as it is literally painful to be inside the car while it's going off. Some of the aftermarket stero manufacuturers use them as well. Why yours is going off, I'm not sure but it definately shouldn't be if you have the keys.