Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

HELP!!! Oil filter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Oil filter stuck

Today I attempted my first self-service on my A3. It's a 2009 A3 2.0 Quattro DSG with 55k miles. I changed the plugs, air filter and cabin filter, all of which were super easy. I changed oil on my '99 A4 for 5 years and did my research on the A3 (which is hard to find, as all threads I could find refer to the canister type filter). The filter on this model A3 is on top of the engine, next to the oil dipstick. I got the oil drained and attempted to remove the filter, but no luck. Have used both a ratchet with cap type and strap type. There's practically no room around the filter to get a strap type around the base of the filter.

Any ideas? I suspect next step is to fill the engine with new oil and go let a service garage change it... :-(

--defeated
Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was really stuck on as well. I bought a plier type filter wrench and it finally did the job. It was quite a struggle with the limited room.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds very simple, but the reality is a little different. Welding aluminium is not an easy thing to do, especially in a case like the one mentioned before. However, I assure you that it’s possible and that you can even do it without having months of practice in welding. It’s enough to read one or two guides, like this one authentic welding guides. I’ve been working in this field for some good years and I know what I’m recommend you. The man who is writing those articles is a professional and believe me, not only you, even I have a lot of things to learn from him. A few days of reading and you will be welding like a magician!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not a canister-type where you have to preserve the housing (some Benz-es have these), get a long-ish flathead with a strong shaft (giggity) or a small pry bar and hammer it through the sides of the housing that should give you enough leverage to crack it loose. Shame on whomever over-tightened your last filter. Especially on top, you're not even fighting gravity! 1/4 turn past finger-tight, and oil that o-ring, jeez!
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Dubs
If it's not a canister-type where you have to preserve the housing (some Benz-es have these), get a long-ish flathead with a strong shaft (giggity) or a small pry bar and hammer it through the sides of the housing that should give you enough leverage to crack it loose. Shame on whomever over-tightened your last filter. Especially on top, you're not even fighting gravity! 1/4 turn past finger-tight, and oil that o-ring, jeez!
Excellent suggestion. That is an old tried and true method to remove stubborn oil filters.

To those who change their own oil and filter.
Make sure to NOT overtighten the new oil filter. Very little torque is needed to seat the filter. Tightening too much will distort the gasket, and that can actually cause an oil leak from the filter itself.