Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

How are the A3's getting into the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the A3's getting into the U.S.?

Alright I know that there have been A3's spotted in the U.S. with state plates and everything, which must mean they are registered. So how are they getting here? I really want to get one imported here, but from everything I've read it's almost impossible. Yet there are still people with them, so there's got to be a way!

If you know how please tell us!
Old 11-06-2000, 03:30 PM

Default Re: How are the A3's getting into the U.S.?

Read all the previous posts on this first! We don't know and we don't care! Some things are better kept out of the states!
Old 11-06-2000, 04:02 PM

Default What's up with you?

What's up with that man? I'm just as much as a fan of Audi's as you are, so why shouldn't I be able to get the Audi I want. I heard you guys on this post were helpful, but I guess I heard wrong.

I've read most of the other post and all anyone says is that you can't get them here, or that they've seen them here. So something's not making sense.
Old 11-06-2000, 05:19 PM

Default We ARE helpful, but...

...this same questions keep on coming over and over again: "how to get an A3/S3 in the states" or "why can't we get one".

I think John has tried to say: "I don't know the answer and as these questions poped up 20 times before without a definite answer, I don't think that none of us, European guys, can help you out."
Old 11-07-2000, 02:14 AM

Default show car?

I have had email contact with a guy in the US who has an A3, and apparently there's some loophole through which you can import them as a 'show car'. He kind of explained it to me - I cant recall exact details. This was about 6 months ago, and he claimed it was the only legal A3 in the US. It came from germany.

At work tomorrow I'll dig out the guy's email address (he emailed me there, not at home) and ask him if he minds me posting it here.... I had a link to some pics of it as well iirc...

I was meant to buy him an A3 manual in english but never got around to it I am so slack sometimes....
Old 11-07-2000, 03:22 AM

Default Re: We ARE helpful, but...

And then of course, noone says you have to answer every post. Especially if you're going to be impolite. There's no nedd for us Europeans to act like those 16-yr olds in the S4-forum.
Old 11-07-2000, 04:36 AM

Default That's how John expresses himself...

...and I don't find him impolite as I know this is his style. But surely, he doesn't need me acting as a lawyer on his behalf...
Old 11-07-2000, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What should be said to future posts of "A3/S3 in the states"...

We should just be polite and say..

"Sorry XYZ, we can't help you. Some of your fellow countrymen have asked this question before, and there is no solution that we know of. Please search the archives"

But one the subject of A3/S3 in the states...

How can the Golf Gti be type approved in the states, but not an A3 from Germany. They have the same platform, are of a similar shape (i.e. hatchback). Plus the A3 gets something like 4 or 5 (out of 5) in the Euro NCAP tests.

AL
Old 11-07-2000, 05:42 AM

Just a humble point. Is this not a US based website anyway!!!
Old 11-07-2000, 05:47 AM

Default What should be said to future posts of "A3/S3 in the states"...

"We should just be polite and say..

"Sorry XYZ, we can't help you. Some of your fellow countrymen have asked this question before, and
there is no solution that we know of. Please search the archives"

OR

Just don't answer the post AT ALL!!!(that's my point).

Quick Reply: How are the A3's getting into the U.S.?