Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

How many time do you take to put your S3 to 100 km/hour?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 06:03 AM
Jordi

Default How many time do you take to put your S3 to 100 km/hour?

How many time do you take to put your S3 to 100 km/hour?
I tried three times with my car.
I was driving and my wife was on my side
with the cronograph (at 2 o´clock A.M).
First time: 6´3 seconds.
Second time: 6´4 seconds.
Last time: 6´1 seconds.

Official Figures from the Audi S3 Catalog says
that S3 is 6´8 seconds to 100 Km/H.
I don´t know why there is that diference.

Maybe you all want to try the same experiment!!!

Tell to me your results please!

Jordi
6´1 to 100 Km/H.<ul><li><a href="balneari.prats@ctv.es">balneari.prats@ctv.es </a></li></ul>
Old 12-30-1999, 01:20 PM
ravenx

Default Haven't tried yet

My car is only 750km old. I won't try it until it has 1200km on the clock.

And you are right; keeping a dark coloured car clean is really hard. But, it looks amazing if you can.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 12-31-1999, 08:47 AM
Jordi

Default When did you buy your nice car?

When I bought my car (7/08/1999), the first day
I drove 770 Km from Madrid to Girona(where I
live). Now my car is 12.144 Km old.
My dealer said to me that at the first 1.000 Km
you better don´t pass more than 5.000 rpm,
well for me it wasn´t a problem because
at 5.000 rpm the S3 goes at 200 Km/H!!!
If I were you, I will wait untill your car
was 3.000 or 4.000 Km.
But I think you are going to drive a lot
with your S3 and you are going to try it
very yet! Be careful!!!

Jordi
Mingblue S3.
I wish you too, a happy new year and a great holiday season.<ul><li><a href="balneari.prats@ctv.es">balneari.prats@ctv.es </a</li></ul>
Old 12-31-1999, 09:36 AM
Jonathan

Default Re: How many time do you take to put your S3 to 100 km/hour?

How many times down the pub do you have a chat and everyone says their cars are faster to 100km/h than manufacturers figures ?. Most 0-60 carried out on the S3 have it around 6.5-6.8 secs. This is using highly accurate Datron equipment. EVO mag here in the UK last month did a test and a guy on the street could not get within 1.5 sec of the professional tester. The 1.8T engines though are always very tight new when tested and the manufacturers need quote worst figures. It has been said in the press that the S3 engine seems to have wide tollerances between cars. I for one am not sure that there really is the power difference between the TT and the S3. Audi does it for diferentiation.

I have to say that 6.6-6.8 seconds feels about right. The first thing I had to do to the S3 is have an MTM conversion. Now it feels around 5.8 secs. Ive got an Impreza as a second car which has a 0-60 of 5.6 sec according to most magazines. Around Donnington it would keep up with the European Impreza's, but lose out to the STI's.

With the MTM conversion the car is much better. Not as flat as the std car, which was IMHO a competent hot hatch but not an S car. I think it really needs another 30bhp to be fun and get you into trouble. So that the next call after christmas to MTM.

Jonathan

Old 12-31-1999, 08:52 PM
ravenx

Default Thanks

I bought my car 01.12.99. Brand new as you can imagine. My dealer told me about the 5000rpm thing as well, but I don't give a damn. I just put great emphasis on not pushing the car hard when the engine is cold. I also cool down the turbo for about 2 minutes after parking. I cannot wait till the car is 3000km old, because in my case that will take almost a year. I drive very rare because of the horrifying traffic jams here in Istanbul / Turkey. When I sold my Mitsubishi VR4, it was 30000km / 5 years old. Then I crashed my Fiat Tipo 2.0i 16v and it was 15500km / 2 years old. And just recently I sold my Opel Vectra 2.5i 24v when it was 14000km / 3 years old.

Therefore I don't think that I'll drive a lot in my S3 although it deifinetely is a beautiful car.

Wish you all the best in 2000,

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 01-02-2000, 12:52 AM
Jordi

Default What is the MTM conversion?

What is the MTM conversion?
I´ve never heard about it.
Does it work with the S3?<ul><li><a href="balneari.prats@ctv.es">balneari.prats@ctv.es </a</li></ul>
Old 01-02-2000, 05:36 AM
Jonathan

Default Re: What is the MTM conversion?

The MTM conversion that I have is just the ECU remap on the S3. I had the S3 dyno'd before and after to check the gains. Its a dyno Ive used for a lot of my cars and has proved to be pretty accurate.

Before 215bhp and 214lbft. After 250bhp and 280lbft. This is excactly as MTM claim increase wise.

It still needs more though and thats why I'm going to look at their apparant 325bhp conversion. I need a Scooby & EVO killer.

Jonathan
Old 01-02-2000, 08:58 PM
ravenx

Default Be careful

I will go for the standard 250 bhp mod as well. I haven't chosen between ABT and MTM yet. 250 bhp with suspension and brake mods sound reasonable for S3.

But, I don't think that the current chasis is able to cope with the 325bhp conversion. Furthermore, I also think that any modification (brake, suspension etc.) you are going to do over the original chasis won't do any good. Do you expect the standard gear box to cope with such power? Well, I don't.

This car is meant to be the ultimate hot hatch. It is not a supercar. The hatch body and the wheelbase don't allow much room for improvement.

Don't kill yourself while trying to kick some Japanese Bad ***.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 01-02-2000, 11:25 PM
Jonathan

Default Re: Be careful

If I go for the 325bhp conversion it will be complemented by AP Racing Brake Kit and a fully adjustable suspension. I will look into the gearbox.

Its just with 250bhp it copes very well. Ive done a few track days in it and its just been too competent. The ideal would be approx 280bhp with brake kit and suspension. Not sure that MTM do a conversion between their 265 and 325. Even if I leave the engine power alone I will an AP Brake Kit

I'll try not to kill myself but am used to owning modified Scoobies with over 300bhp. I keep the fast stuff for the track and use an instructor where I can, or go on driving courses to improve my Track driving. Still waiting for my Quattro driving day that comes free with the car.

Jonathan

I went for MTM because the Abt people work from home in the UK at present.
Old 01-03-2000, 01:26 PM
ravenx

Default Good Luck

Well, a modified Subaru should feel quite different than a modified S3. First of all, the Subaru doesn't have a hatch body and chassis. It is a saloon (in some rare cases a coupé, like the STi's or the new P1, which I adore). Consequently the longer wheelbase has a greater tolerance for coping with 300 bhp than the S3. As a result it handles better.

Second, unlike the S3, the Subaru has a permanent 4wheel drive. This makes the Subaru more stable than the S3.

Personally, I think that 250 bhp is more than enough. If you want to deal with Imprezas and Evos, go for Porsche 996 Turbo (yes yes, I know how much it costs).

You are right about the brake modification. The S3 desperately needs better brakes. I'll go for Porsche 993 brake kit conversion.

Looking forward to hear more from you after you have done the mods.

ravenx
'00 Black S3

Quick Reply: How many time do you take to put your S3 to 100 km/hour?