Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

I never post race stories... 01' S6 VS. A3.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I never post race stories... 01' S6 VS. A3.

A3 VS. S6 part 1.

So I have 2 brothers... Neither wanted to give props to the built A3...

One has an 01' S6 Avant with neuspeed software, catback, intake, PSS9s and 19x9" sportecs (sp?). Tonight, after much bench racing and **** talking, we decided to settle the debate. We went out to the famous Palisades Dr. Drag strip in Pacific Palisades, CA. For those of you unfamiliar with this amazing stretch of road it goes like this:

4 lanes, 2 in each direction. a center divider for the first 1/4 mile almost dead straight. a subtle left kink at the end of the 1/4 mile (no need to lighten your foot).. center divider ends but still 4 lanes.. no driveways, no curbs, no power poles, no nothing but lots of run-off and tall canyon walls for the beautiful sound of your exhaust to bounce off. The road continues slightly up hill from the kink (1/4 mile marker) with another long straight 130mph+ (I go 145mph here on the Ducati) to another less subtle left kink (most will at least lift here but no brakes required). Then a short straight to BIG BRAKES for a 95-105mph (depending on the size of your nuts and ability of your car/bike) right/left S-turn that is perfectly banked. to another long straight 120mph+ to a right kink to a mellow left to civilization. The fun ends here as at this point the canyon walls are replaced by curbs, walls intersections, lights, homes and a 35mph speed limit... prior to this point, throughout the rest of the canyon, the speed limit is posted at 45 . Phhhew.. that was a mouthful.

So we did 2 runs and it was all we needed because both were super clean. no missed shifts no one jumping the gun too badly and no other complaints or issues. Obviously I can't run him from a dead stop as I will be sitting in place roasting my tires whilst he creates an insurmountable lead so we rolled 'em out at about 20-25mph with me in 2nd gear and hooked up.

Long story short... at the end of a 1/4 mile my A3 has a 1.5-2 car-length lead and as I shift into 5th and stay in it, it gets worse and worse for the S6. By 120mph it's 3-3.5 and the S6 showed no signs it was capable making up any ground up high. We skipped the corners as there was no debate over who would win a race with 2 corners connecting each straight. This was just about which car was faster. His theory was that his car was slightly faster and even if I beat him to 80mph he'd run me down up high with the V8. No dice.

The 2nd run he jumped me by about a 1/2 second and I made the mistake of flooring the car fast instead of rolling it on when I saw him leave early. My turbo showed more lag than in run 1 (or maybe our speed was slower) either way I bogged momentarily in 2nd gear and watched him get out a full car length on me. I made the car-length up and was sitting window to window with him by 60-70mph and was in front by a car at the 1/4 mile marker... and once again was pulling hard and stretching the lead the faster and longer we stayed in it.

I continue to be blown away by the performance of this little car. I had a friend of mine with a bone stock STi on the same road last monday night and it was basically dead even. Although that race was not run under quite as controlled circumstances (we were both on our way home late). I started 3 car lengths out on him when we hit it and, while the gap stayed exactly the same from 30-85/90mph, I could see his lights getting closer at about 90-100mph. We had to slow because we were very quickly approaching a car that was probably going 50mph. I think the STi may have reeled me in albeit very slowly if we had more room. Obviously, once again, from a dead stop I'm toast.

My other brother drives an 03' RS6 with porche GT3 seats, PSS9 coils, revo software, cat back, K&N and some other ****. It made 412hp to the wheels on the dyno. I went at it with him in the canyons and kept space between us for over 2 miles (different and tighter canyon but still 2 lanes each way). I would go deeper on the brakes and carry more corner speed and he would catch me right at the end of the straight, even show me his front bumper at my door, just before the braking threshold (well his threshold anyway) then I would disappear around the corner and exit faster and then the dance would repeat itself. Afterwards he said I looked like I was eating a ham sandwich while he was struggling with his beast. He said his car's brakes were vibrating all over the place and the whole experience was a lot of work. we're talking 90-120mph straights with 60-80mph corners. nothing super tight.

Anyway, after the run he dubbed the A3 "the fly he couldn't swat"...

As most of you know I came from a built S4 Avant and I can honestly say.. this car brakes MUCH better, carries more corner speed, is more fun to drive hard (4000lbs of massive understeer gets old real fast) and IMHO is as fast as a stock B6 S4 6sp and definitely faster than a B6 S4 tip.

Disclaimer:

The above stories are fiction and for enjoyment purposes only... So save the safety comments and anti street-racing dribble.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I never post race stories... 01' S6 VS. A3.

I'm in West LA, but don't recognize the stretch of road you are referring to. I'll have to look in my Thomas Guide.

My A3 setup is similar to yours, but without the intake or downpipe. How much difference would those two changes make on top of my NS chip? Also, very good call to replace the crap stock brakes with the Brembos. I need to change mine out. Was racing an Evo on sunset just after I got my car in January and I almost missed a corner due to lack of braking power.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Nice D. I'm completely not surprised to the results after driving it.

p.s. Can you book the other room at Hotel Inez? The top one. Got some other people that want in. For the first 7 nights you are there is good.

p.s.s. let me get another ride in that thing in the canyon.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL.....what a kidder! ;-)
Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hahaha!! awesome D!

My opinions and experience echos what Damon said. I have a similar setup as you as well. Except for the spiffy brakes and lightweight wheels

If you're running a turbo eclipse or other fwd sleepers, an A3 has a chance to equal or beat the opposition - from the beginning of the race.

But when you up the ante and go against an S6, S4, other big boys... again, a chipped A3 can do a LOT of damage. But this time, serious damage to the ego.

But to be fair, you won't have a chance against the supercars from from light-to-light. And not even on the 1/4m drag strip. Because, only when you reach 60/70mph will you begin to make ground. As in Damon's experience, you can eventually pass and destroy the supercars!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default safety comments and anti street-racing dribble

That is all. Had to do it because you asked not to ;-)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I OWN Sunset..

Well... I love it anyway.

I raced a guy from Mandevile Cyn. to Palisades Dr. for $5000.00 in 92'. He was in an built M3 with full rollcage, brakes, motor work.. the whole 9-yards. An SCCA car. I was in a blown 5.0 with aluminum heads, full griggs suspension, roll cage, brakes, seats... the whole 9-yards. A buddy of mine who won a lot $$$ in van nuys on tuesday and friday nights at the drags in a blown 5.0 with a bottle met the guy and told him about me. The dude said there wasn't a mustang on the planet that could hang w/ him in the corners... My buddy put up the $$ and sat shotgun and the M3 carried a passenger as well. M3 guy lost 5k that night. I've been killing the section from the 405 to the beach for 20 years now, what a great stretch of road. To my suprise I can move faster through that section in my A3 than I used to in my built S4.

Palisades Dr. is about 1/3 of a mile east of where Sunset dead ends at PCH. You can only go east... right by the self realization fellowship. Check it out... it's the best stretch of road in LA county. I live at the very top of the canyon.

BTW... Sunset is where my race with my brothers RS6 took place. I avoid saying that because people don't get it. They hear sunset and think we're out of our heads.. but after midnight it's one of the best public road courses in the county. Except for the lack of run-off, power poles, driveways, intersections, retaining walls, drunk drivers and cops (which have been ditched countless times: read past fictional posts by me). I had the same experience as you against an Sti racing from Temescal Cyn. to Palisades Dr. on Sunset. Took me 5-6 corners to get around the guy and when I did... the very next corner I had no brakes left... ordered my kit the next morning because I knew I'd either crash or loose a lot of races because of those **** brakes. Do it!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you're a bad audiboi!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You forgot spiffy lightweight seats too! ;- )
Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll call you today. Ines wants CC#s now so...

I can call them for you today but one of those guys has to e-mail with a CC#. Unless you want to e-mail me yours and I'll take care of it.

BTW... when you drove it was short a DP and the lightweight seats and brakes.

Thing is a f'ing ripper.

Quick Reply: I never post race stories... 01' S6 VS. A3.