Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Impending DSG failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impending DSG failure?

I have a recently purchased an 06 A3 2.0T sport package with DSG, with 55K mi. It is an absolute joy to drive. However, while starting from stop on a hill the other day (foot on brake pedal in "D" at a light), the transmission initially failed to engage and made a grinding sound. It sounded like it would if you had only partially depressed the clutch in a MT. Eventually, I rolled car back down the hill to a level place and then the transimission engaged. I have since tried to avoid coming to a stop on any relatively steep incline. Anybody experience this? Is my transmission on its way out or do I just not know how to drive with DSG? This has to be an expensive repair. Any price estimates? Car is out of warranty.

Also, anyone know how to turn off the bulb warning icon in the DIS? I have a "right parking light" warning, though I have checked and replaced all right park lights and they are working perfectly. Same wattage bulbs, same manufacturer, etc.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a harbinger of impending failure. Funny though - dropped my 07 off today for it's 55k service and asked my local indie what a used replacement would cost. He said a cutout tranny is about 2700 + labor. This is MUCH lower than it was a couple of years ago.

I've also had the bulb issues. Had several pop then it just stopped. Keep checking the bulbs especially the ones behind the panel in the hatch. That's the one that kept popping on me.

Hope everything works out ok.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It might be the hill hold causing the brakes to grind a little. My car can roll backwards if I throttle it the right amount so neither the clutch nor hill hold engage.

What do you mean by "Eventually, I rolled car back down the hill to a level place and then the transimission engaged." Are you saying that the engine would rev but the car wouldn't move forward?