Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Just filled out an online survey from my A3 test drive. Here's my comments sent to Audi of America

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just filled out an online survey from my A3 test drive. Here's my comments sent to Audi of America

"Audi, you guys are really missing the boat with this car. Until you make the 2.0 available with quattro, you will not sell nearly as many of these cars as you potentially could. Yes we all know about the upcoming release of the 3.2 quattro, but by the time you add any options to that model, you are priced into the same range as the A4. And if the A3 was supposed to be your affordable entry-level Audi, then this TOTALLY defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Sorry to say, although the A3 2.0 is a nice car and fun to drive, by the time you add any options at all, like leather and open sky, sport package, you are up into the $30k+ price range. Think about it... How many people from your target demographic are willing to pay $30k for a front wheel drive four cylinder hatch back when they can easily go and buy a Mazda 3 **loaded with all options including navigation, xenon lights, leather, etc...** for a little more than half the price. And the Mazda 3 is a VERY respectable, fun to drive car.

You also need to consider that you are trying to sell a car (euro hatch back) that has historically failed in the US. Did you guys not remember the BMW 318, and countless others that have tried and failed before it. If you are so boldly going where no eurocar has gone before, then you need to start thinking about what makes YOUR car so much better than those other failed attempts. And quite frankly, aside from the DSG transmission (which by the way might appeal to some, but not the masses), you really aren't doing anything groundbreaking, unless you offer quattro and a lower price with options. THEN you will have the success you dream of. Until you do that... good luck selling A3's.

I love Audi cars, and I just purchased my 2nd A4. I would have bought the A3 if it had quattro in the 2.0. And believe me, there are a LOT of people who have the same feelings as I do. Just spend 15 minutes reading the Audiworld.com A3 forum threads and you will see what I mean.

Respectfully yours,
Loyal Audi driver and car enthusiast."
Old 07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for the GTI

I suspect that VW of A will delay the GTI to give the A3 more of a head start.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, but no QTR for the GTi, and pricing around $22K to start.

No 4 door GTi until well after the launch of the 2 door (March of 2006).
Old 07-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Elder Member

Default While I think that a 2.0T QTR would definitely be more appealing...

I think that people need to come to grips with reality on pricing for the A3 relative to the A4.

As I noted in a post a while back:

A3 with options will cost close to an A4 without options.

A3 2.0T MT6 Frontrack with no options - $25,460
A3 2.0T MT6 with Sport Package - $27,260
A3 2.0T MT6 with Premium Package - $27,845

Compared to...
A4 2.0T MT6 Frontrack with no options - $28,070
A4 2.0T MT6 QTR with no options - $30,170
A4 2.0T MT6 Avant QTR with no options - $31,170

Just trying to keep things in perspective. If you built an A4 with options, the difference is greater than some people think it is. Of course, there may be deals to be had with the A4 as opposed to no deals on the A3, so that should also go into consideration.

The obvious difference is the availability of QTR in the A4. And when the A3 with QTR arrives, it will be priced higher than the Frontrak A3's, most likely in the mid $27K range if they follow their pricing model for the A4 ($2100 more to get QTR).

Of course, this is all moot to me since I wanted a DSG, which isn't available on the A4.

So, while it would be nice if Audi gave people a $20K A3, it just doesn't make sense for Audi to do.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/22590.phtml">Clicky...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Sorry I think you are the one missing the point of the A3, or at least what Audi wants from it...

Audi doesn't want an "entry level" car, that was never there intent for it.

For example myself, I would not want an A4, its big heavy and a little too "old" for me it's what my dad drives. I was looking at the TSX, S40, Benz C320, Audi had nothing to compete with compact sport sedans, once the A3 came out right away I went over too look at it (had already seen it in Detroit). Nothing to do with price here, my payments are more then my dads A4 w/QTR, I could have had an A4 but I don't want an A4, at least not right now.

Audi has no intention of competing with the Mazda 3. You cannot compare the two, the 3 is great I'd agree but in no way does its quality touch the A3, the Mazda 3 is the quality of a Civic or Subaru.
Every day I drive my A3 I'm more and more impressed with the refinement and the cross between the TT and A6 which is what Audi wanted to do. You have an idea in your head that the A3 is a cheap Audi, that someone who wants a Mazda 3 would look at, that is not at all the case. Audi knows the market and I think they hit the nail on the head.

I would agree with you that the QTR should come with the 2.0T and M6spd, just because we all don't want a V6 and DSG. Youâ€<sup>TM</sup>re also right in that Americanâ€<sup>TM</sup>s will have a hard time accepting the fact that a smaller Audi is just as much an Audi as the A8. (I exclude Canada from this as we seem to lean more with the Europeans and like smaller cars.)
Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Just filled out an online survey from my A3 test drive. Here's my comments sent to Audi of Amer

Hello Siberian and fellow posters. I am new to this forum!

I thought would mention that the upcoming A3 with the 3.2 engine will be sporting the haldex system.
That means that the A3 will continue to esentially be a front driver and the rear wheels will only kick in, in the event of loss of traction.

Personally I like the A3 ... a little pricey though.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Amen. I didn't want a car as large as the A4. I wanted a premium SMALL car.

And while I wouldn't mind having QTR, I think some of the nimbleness in everyday driving would be blunted by the extra weight and inertia.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Welcome! That is true, but there exists Haldex software

upgrades that make the system more aggressive. It can only be a matter of time before they offer it for the A3.<ul><li><a href="http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/haldex_popup.html">klik for more info</a></li></ul>
Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i second that (mostly)...

it'd like to see some market data on a3 buyers, but i got the a3 because it was what i wanted.

my reqs (not all clearly stated at the time) were:
* relatively luxurious
* compact
* fuel efficient
* powerful,
* fun to drive
* 5 door
* styling i like and can identify with it
* all weel drive would be nice.

with this in mind, the available cars were too big (including a4), or too bland, or not my style, or underpowered (or a combination of these.

at the same time, i liked audi styling, so when a3 came around i was already interested, and the niceties like 6-speed DSG and OpenSky further sweetened the deal.

the a3 _is_ priced rather competitively, in my opinion -- compared with other cars with comparable levels of refinement and technology... (like saab 9-3).

i got pretty much every possible option with my a3, and, frankly, would consider more if available (quattro, bluetooth, keyless entry, parktronic, adaptive (?) cruise control, nav with traffic info...).

so if i have to have a complaint, it would be -- "give me more options!"
Old 07-16-2005, 05:59 AM

Default The main reason for not having an A3 2.0 Quattro is because

it uses a different gas tank than on the 2.0 FWD.
That gas tank has not been certified yet and it costs $$.
Audi won't do it quite yet.
They want to see how that A3 sells first and then possibly bring it.

Quick Reply: Just filled out an online survey from my A3 test drive. Here's my comments sent to Audi of America