Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Lean off idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lean off idle

Have not posted yet to this site but have been an avid browser! I do have vcds cable and are very mechanically inclined- I have several audis, my most favorite being the audi a3 with the 2.0t (I have two of them, 2006 and 2007 both with the 2.0t fsi bpy dsg fwd) I love them so much I bought my 2nd a3 (the 2007 one) from my work for cheap because they were going to wholesale auction it off- I am posting about the 2007 today with 140k miles- Bought it knowing there was issues- It had a couple fuel rail pressure codes, I don't remember them all but on was 000401/p0191 fuel pressure sensor (g247)- implausible signal- so I pull the high pressure pump and cam follower out before I bought it to inspect for camshaft wear- looked fine( a lot better than my 2006) I also viewed live date group 230- both pids(actual and spec) match closely so i'm guessing it was an intermittent failing pressure sensor and bought it and drove it home- Replaced the fuel sensor on the rail without removing the intake manifold so I do not know the condition of the intake valves, I was told there are issues with getting the wrong fuel pressure sensor because vw/audi are listing the incorrect part numbers- installed a black one- I am told the brownish ones are for the TSI motors- I test drove the car for a little bit and got code P2177/008567 - Bank 1; System Too Lean off Idle: Upper Limit Exceeded- I smoke tested system and found two intake leaks- one at pass/side intercooler o-ring- fixed/replaced- 2nd is the coolant/vacuum hose flange at the drivers end of the head that was cracked- fixed and replaced- tested for leaks again- none- test drive again and monitor live data ground 32- idle fuel trim is normal and off idle quickly goes up to 14% or more when up to temp- group 230 for fuel rail pressure is still very close to desired.
I have have two of the same cars so I just started to swap parts one by one and clear codes and test driving each time, none have fix the lean off idle issue and always goes straight back to 14% or more and is starting to drive me crazy- things I have tried/ swapped- maf and air filter housing- b1s1 a/f sensor- pcv valve on front of valve cover- rear check valve that attaches to valve cover and goes to intake- diverter valve- High pressure fuel pump, I did a couple maintenance things like new plugs and fuel filter- same issue still returning- could really use some help and or pointers and where to go next- would be much appreciated- thanks in advanced!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shelby, I have the same problem. Fixed vacuum leaks, new spark plugs and coils.
Still giving me these check engine codes:
Connection charger throttle valve pressure (upper limit exceeded)
random/multiple misfires (implausible signal)
Cyl 2 misfire detected (implausible signal)
intake air system leak (lower limit not reached)

I've had several audi people tell me this is a common issue with these cars, but i'm one that
hates driving with the check engine light on. Wish I could help, but if anyone out there can chime
in that maybe has had this issue, it'd be awesome. Thank you.