Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Long-time Audi owner seeks your advice on the A3>>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-time Audi owner seeks your advice on the A3>>>

I've owned a few audis, currently is a '01 A6 and an '84 4000. I had the opportunity to drive a loaner A3 2.0t with the paddle shifter... this car left a lasting impression on me, and I'm thinking on the way to work that maybe I should check into it. I'm posting here to solicit opinions on your cars.

One of the things I most liked from the loaner was it's road feel, which is very similar to my 4000. While this car was FAST, I already have 'way too many speeding tickets in my past..... I'd like to have the hauling/reliability/sporty feel of a smaller car that gets great mileage. The loaner had over 30 mpg, I seem to remember a 36mpg....

How's the after-care... will I need to pay the high costs like on my A6?

Please offer your thoughts about your cars! Many thanks in advance....
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Default I have the 3.2, but can tell you....

It's a great car...
The advantage of the 2.0t is the better mileage and it is way more modifiable. With chips, intake and exhaust you can almost get up the to the HP of the 3.2q
2009 now offers Quattro on the 2.0t now, so that advantage is now gone (over the 3.2)

As for aftercare...does Audi still offer the pre-paid regular service that was offered in 2007? (2006, the service was included). If it is, it's totally worth it. If you're buying used, find out if this was purchased..as it is transferable.

The S-Tronic transmission is a point of endless discussion. I think it's great as I have a long stop and go commute. I also didn't have the option of a 6M. People have had issues, including me (mine's leaking some oil and is getting checked out tomorrow under warranty). I think, overall, it's a good one.

For hauling, it's a compromise...it can fit alot if you're not used to an SUV, but it always seems like you should be able to fit one more thing in.
I think the GTI has a better set up as it appears to be taller, but that's just my perception.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing like the A6 to keep running. However, the DSG trans services every 40K miles are not cheap.

Fluid and filter swap. Plan on timing belt and water/tensioner before 100K miles. A few coilpacks dying here and there, but not an epidemic. A few DSG gearboxes died during a heat wave, but again rare. Most complaints center around the sunshade handle breaking on Open Sky equipped cars. Seat bolsters seem to tear for some folks, but not others. Tire and road noise a bit much for some, and the ride over broken pavement can be a bit rough, coming from the A6.

Depending how and where you drive, I would guess most folks are getting in the mid-20mpg range when averaged out. Insurance for us was very reasonable. The car was extremely versatile and excellent for nipping around in traffic for the 3 years that I had mine.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM

Well said....
Old 11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default We also love our 3.2, but now that the 2.0T is here with quattro, will get it next.

And as far as I am concerned, DSG/S-Tronic is a miracle
Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

April, how much for the DSG service? My first was included in maint (hope they did the work)
Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2.0 looks a bit better on paper.

Obviously, you can't get Quattro and the stick, but new 2.0's have a timing chain and seem to have worked through all the early engine troubles.

I've been seeing around 7.8-8.2L/100km mixed (mainly city), so I'd say it's pretty light on gas.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the information, all! Hmm, there's a blue one nearby for sale....

2006, 2.0T, 31k miles, most of the bells and whistles, they're asking 22,9oo for it at a dearlership.

Are they worth that much $$$? Is this a good asking price?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sorry, I think the interval is 20K miles - although some say 35K and others 40K.

20 or 40K is the Haldex service interval. I think it varies by what generation, given the old TT had this technology first.

ECS makes a kit for DSG fluid swaps if you want to tackle them yourself. Around $150 + plus a special tool. Otherwise around $400 if you have someone do all the work and supply the parts. Around $250/300 for Haldex.

Getting the extended service contract is totally worth it if your dealer doesn't suck.

Call your dealer and get a service printout.

The latest 2.0t does have a timing chain, so that is probably fine up into the 150K mile range before guides and tensioner need looking at.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/80620.phtml">old thread</a></li></ul>
Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default '06 automatically has inclusive maintenance for 4yr/50K miles. Check for extended warranty

as the problems with DSG/S-Tronic happened mostly in the first 2 years of NA production. Get full service history printout.

Quick Reply: Long-time Audi owner seeks your advice on the A3>>>