Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Looking to buy an A3 used vs new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an A3 used vs new?

Hey all,

I've had a chipped 01' A4 MT Qtr and an 04' MT WRX wagon. I'm looking at buying an A3.

My research hasn't turned up any significant differences between the 06-08 model years. Is the 06 sport package much different from the 07 and 08 s-line packages?

Is there any compelling reason to spend more for an 08 or 07 if a low mileage 06 is available?

I'm definitely leaning towards a 2.0T with DSG (fiance' can't drive manual) but I'm starting to see 06 3.2's come down into my budget (22-27k).

Everything I read about the 3.2's makes them sound worse than the 2.0T's but I like AWD. Any good reasons to take a 3.2 over a 2.0T besides Quattro?

I heard the 09 A3 2.0T will be offered with Quattro but I'm guessing that'll be a 35k+ car with the options I'm interested in (S-Line, DSG, opensky).

On a side note, for those that have chipped your 2.0T's how's your freeway mileage? Any problems with torque steer?

Finally (and thanks in advance for any tips, advice etc. for a former Audi guy eager to return to the fold), any advice on where to shop for a used (or new) A3? I live in San Francisco, CA and the local dealers' pricing seems a little crazy.

Milk&Cheese
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, I would say you need to drive both engines and decide. Do note the 3.2 has a very pronounced

break-in period during which it doesn't "sparkle" as much as it will once it's got 10K miles on the clock. For town commuting, the 2.0T is the perfect traffic terrorist. The fat slug of torque at 2000rpms lets you pounce into gaps that you might not otherwise be able to make. The 3.2 is more a mountains, canyons, and all weather machine. It can do the town stuff just fine, but the advantage of QTR won't be as clear. The linear power delivery is also nicer on the track when compared to the turbo surge.

So you need to decide how the car will be used, and your priorities.

I had a 2.0T stick. Even stock, it's possible to spin the front wheels w/o trying hard. The DSG cars are a tad bit harder to modulate to avoid spin. Chipped means upgraded tires, dogbone, and maybe even a real mechanical limited slip if you like going to the tight twisties. Bigger rear anti-sway bar helps deal with understeer. In the 3.2, get the Haldex controller for more rear power bias.

As I recall, sport package cars got power seats in '07, which gave a wider range of adjustment in case you or girlfriend are finicky about seating position (I'm short and the manual seats in the '06 did not work for me - so I got a car with Premium package which had a power driver seat).

Contact Chris Bearman at Carlson. He knows his Audis inside and out, and can help you choose.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Always glad to read your comments about the 3.2, April. No smack-down, even some admiration for it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I've always said I'd get one in a heartbeat if they'd offer a 3 pedal version:)

Not sure if anybody is doing a full intake and cams for that version of motor, but it's one car I would mod in heartbeat! Intake, full exhaust, Haldex controller, sways, more sound deadening, etc. Maybe even lighten the flywheel and crank.

Missing the utility of the hatch already;-)
Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I know you like the 3.2. A lot of people give it a bad rap, but it's a good motor, fun car.

I need to get your sound deadening ideas again. Maybe I'll work on that this summer. Oh, and I think I'll put on new sways too, after I get my suspension issues resolved. This car is coming together and is even more fun to drive now.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

no power passenger seats my GF hates it 08 3.2 s-line
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM

Default thanks all, appreciate the feedback, especially April's

Sort of resparked my interest in the 3.2 esp. if there's haldex mods to make it more rear biased. the prof reviews of it were pretty poor but I've always thought that was a good engine in other VW/Audi applications.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Go drive some! You're the only one who can decide if either is right for you.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Does chipping the 2.0T make the same huge difference it did with the 1.8T?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup. I kept my car stock (my grocery getter - no warranty problems),

but have driven a few modified ones. As I mentioned though, fwd does get in the way a bit, especially if you're used to hooking up w/QTR. You can learn to drive a bit differently, but you'll need to mod a few other items (as noted above) to maximize the output under the widest possible range of conditions.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an A3 used vs new?