Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Lowering options???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering options???

I am seriously considering lowering my A3 using some Eibach springs, but some people say you should also change the shocks, and some say you'll get away with it.

I've heard the car will end up too 'bouncy' if you only change springs???

I only really want to lower the car by around 30mm - I am assuming you lower the same amounts front and rear???
Old 06-02-2003, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Lowering options?

I would suggest changing both springs and shock absorbers. A friend only changed springs, and the ride suffered. It was an odd sensation whenever we hit a bump. The initial impact was okay, albeit firmer, but the rebound didn't match.
I suppose it depends on how much firmer the springs are from standard.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:23 PM

ive got my a3 lowered 50mm on H&R springs, on standard shocks and the ride is great if you dont wanna change the shocks, id recommend a quality spring, dont go cheap
Old 06-05-2003, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Lowering options???

I went through this dilemma a while back (hence all my posts on this forum about it), spent weeks trying to decide, gathering different opinions etc.

Now I'm thinking "is it really worth the hastle?" Probably because I was convinced to do the job properly not cutting corners and get the shocks done as well which would mean it would cost a lot more. Also modifications to such an extent would mean I _should_ really tell my insurance, making my premium of £1200 even more! (A3 is my first car on my first insurance policy).

I've come to the conclustion that rather than 'dick' with a standard car to make it faster, lower, styled, by the time you've paid for the chip, springs & shocks, body kit, insurance, it's cheaper just to buy a more expensive car that has all that in the first place! Not to mention all the time spent doing all this and the garage costs.

On the other hand, I like my cars, and would enjoy doing do all these mods but at the moment don't want to blow all my money on it!

I did think about getting hold of some A3 sport springs as I thought they may be a bit shorter, but since have been told they are the same as used on all the A3 models.

The other thing to consider is that if the ride height is changed from what it was designed, I think you can expect increased tyre wear. I'm guessing this is due to the unintended angles the suspension would settle at? Comments welcome here...

I'm just about happy with the height of the front, but I think its the back that spoils the look as its just too high. Perhaps taking into account what I just said it will be better in the long run to drive around with a bunch of sandbags in the boot??!!

Hope this helps you, let me know what you decide!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:08 PM
FWD
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber Kit

Is there a camber kit for the rear? In case the alignment can't be done properly.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:29 PM

i have an audi a3 1.8t sport which i have lowered 30mm. if you would like to see how it looks at this height email me @ m.formston@tiscali.co.uk