Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Modded A3 vs WRX(non-STI)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded A3 vs WRX(non-STI)

Hey guys.
I'm new to the forum. Just picked up my new A3. I was planning on adding an APR chip, APR exhaust with extra software, and carbonio cold air intake. One of my good friends owns a 2005 Subaru WRX. He doesn't have the STI, but it is still very quick with the turbo. Any chance I fare well against him with these mods. This is one guy I don't want to lose to. He is always talking about how great "Subi's" are, and he is always ******* on Audis. He was talking down on my 2006 B7 S4, saying it's a pretty boys ride.(that is until I showed him what it could do). If I could beat him with an A3, I would really shut him up! Anyways, thanks for your opinions.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Default With your proposed mods from a dead stop he will leave you in a cloud of smoke.

From your front tire spin.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the wrx may outlaunch the a3, but i highly doubt that a stock wrx can take an a3 with those mods...
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM

2nd. The outcome also will depend on the experience of the drivers.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i think "subies" are great...

performance for the $, and he can easily chip his car too if you manage to beat him.

But that's a bit like saying if one of the new american muscle cars is "better" than an italian exotic just because the muscle car is cheaper and faster. You bought a CAR (that you presumably thought was worth the $ for many reasons--styling, interior, performance, utility, etc.), you didn't buy a performance metric. I don't doubt that he could make a good argument for the "superiority" of his purchase, but so could you, irrespective of who wins (but I hope you win!).
Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Modded A3 vs WRX(non-STI)

Beat him at what? 1/4, road course, auto-x, or idiotic street race?

The WRX is quick, even in non-STi/STI trim, so long as you keep the turbo on boil. The 2.0 Subie is dog slow down low, but builds boost nicely, it has a very non-linear acceleration curve. If you are prepared for that, and accept the fact the suspension is wallowy from the factory, it can be driven very quickly. The wagon is actually a bit better balanced, though the sedan is slightly lighter.

In a race from a stop the AWD will take you immediately, and you'll struggle to gain much ground.

On a road course the AWD, IMO, will outhandle the A3, it has a traction advantage, and is lighter. Both cars will have to worry about keeping the turbo spooled up.

Comparing a mod'ed car to a stock car is silly, any chip you put in the A3 can be easily matched by a chip in the Impreza. A chipped WRX with a stiffer rear bar will take an A3, assuming the drivers are about equal.

/bill
Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree with RikiTik...

The problem with the modded A3 is not the power but how it delivers the power to the ground. The AWD WRX has the advantage of AWD, and power/weight ratio. I would highly suggest better tires, suspension and RSB before any of those mods.

As bbbradley said, it also depends on what kind of "race" are you talking about? Is this on a track? Or are you talking about 1/4 mile? And of course, it also depends on the driver. DSG doesn't require that much skill, so that could be an advantage if you have that.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Default If you have the sports package...

1. Buy a better set of tires preferrably a set of Yokohama ADVAN Neova; these tires will definitely help you lock-up quicker.

2. Fill the A3 with 100+ octane before the race...along with your chip, you got a rocket ship.

3. Aim straight and hold on.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ive got revo chip , full exhaust , nuespeed pulley

On the high way i pull on subies real bad! For that matter i pull on both my friends B6 and b7 fully modded S4s on the high way as well. I must say though i couldnt do it with my APR chip, My Revo chip is a hole different ball game!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Off a rolling start you will in deed take the subie, off a dead stop your not even coming close!

Quick Reply: Modded A3 vs WRX(non-STI)