Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

MPG follow up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG follow up

i am in love with my a3, but one gripe i had (hm... why does this sound like my other relationships? was fuel efficiency.

i was seeing 14-19mpg in my city trips, with overall 20-22mpg (75-80% highway, usually two 30 min trips/day).

my dealer found nothing wrong with the car, and i have since noticed that:

* adopting a different driving style increases my average to about 26mpg. hm... 108hp civic driving habits die hard.

* longer trips, or resetting trip computer 10-15 mins into the trip cause a dramatic increase in reported mpg (i think someone else here also mentioned higher fuel consumption in the beginning).

so as gas prices are going up, and i am playing the high mpg game, i am wondering if you guys have any insights into this.

any driving tips to increase mpg (shifting to neutral when going downhill?)? is there any way to reduce initial "startup" gas consumption?...

thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: MPG follow up

Just leave it parked.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:10 PM

Default I like to call it Econo-box shifting

The car is really powerful, but it is also capable of some good numbers. Since I have the privialedge of paying UK prices for fuel, I usually go for econo-shifting.
1. Keep revs at a minimum. I usually switch gear around 2500 to 3000 RPM.
2. When going downhill, keep the car IN gear. Engine breaking helps, but moreover, you use less fuel as the engine. As the engine takes the load, the electronic system eliminates the input of fuel, as it is not needed.
3. Watch when you accelerate. If you accelerate abruptly while going uphill, the car needs a lot more fuel than accelerating on a downhill or level surface. So, if you can help it, light on the throttle uphill and heavy downhill.
4. Lighten the load. If you carry around a bunch of junk, take it out of the car. This includes anything on the roof.

I wish that you could set cruise control by both speed and fuel economy. Would make a lot more sense these days. This way, you can set the fuel economy at 29MPG(UK) and set a max speed of 80mph and be set for your journey.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: MPG follow up

1. Don't accelerate, in fact, decelerate going uphill.
2. Put it in neutral going downhill (or use the downhill to accelerate back to your pre-uphill speed).
3. Turn engine off if idling more than a minute or so.
4. Turn on the instant MPG meter and drive by it!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Personally, watching the MPG too much takes out the fun for me

I'm on the mindset to "just enjoy the car".

I spend on average 2-3 hours on the road every day. Which is why I need to be happy in the car I'm in. I realised long ago that watching the fuel gauge just detracts from it. That's not to mean that I don't drive like a pedal stomping madman. I still average 24mpg, 90% city driving.

Also, I'm planning a TDI for the wife's next car, so right there is the good mpg :-)
Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

what gas milage do you get parked?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default sweet, thanks for the ideas. you should patent the fuel economy cruise control idea and sell it to

audi.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default so it looks like if i go downhill expecting to stop at the end, i would be in gear,

but if i want to gain momentum and keep going, i would be in neutral. cool.

onurisa3 -- "watching the fuel gauge" is just another game i can play with my lovely a3.

it actually _adds_ to my enjoying my car, doesn't subtract from it.

and, needless to say, it doesn't at all prevent me from switching to "pedal stomping madman" game any time i feel like playing it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Biggest gain is when going slower at highway speeds

The car is *probably* most economical when going on the highway at the top gear and at the lowest possible RPM.

The reason is that; at the top gear, the car is moving the longest distance per stroke of the engine. Also being on the lowest possible RPM, we pay the least amount of gas for wind resistance.

The cost of wind resistence is non-linear, meaning that a unit amount of reduction in speed of the car provides more than unit amount of saving.

Ali
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Not practical and in most cases, impossible...

I can coax 33 mpg out of my A3 in 6th gear on a level highway at a decent speed (maybe 65 mph). If I set your "economy control" to 30 mpg for example, what would happen when the road becomes hilly? That is, what possible combination of throttle and gearing would allow the car to maintain 30 mpg?

Being a multiple TDI owner, I've learned to go lightly on the throttle and have been able to achieve mpg's in the 50's easily with my TDI's. Judicious use of throttle (and braking, which waste energy unless you're driving a hybrid) is the best approach to increasing your fuel economy.

Quick Reply: MPG follow up