Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

My APR 93-octane chipped A3

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default They are correct on the wheel

For 98% of your driving, you should keep your hands in the same place on the wheel. If they were stationary behind the wheel, you'd need to move your hand off the wheel mid corner to find the shift. This equates to more shift finding circumstances.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hate the concept of shift paddles fixed "behind" the

wheel as opposed to the way it's designed on our A3. I like the steering wheel mounted setup.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My APR 93-octane chipped A3

DSG hunting is supposedly caused by too much torque causing clutch slip beyond what the transmission ECU firmware can handle. Supposedly the ECU see's the surge in RPM but not enough of an accompanying speed increase (due to clutch slip) so it cuts the throttle briefly and engages the clutch and tries to release it again - typically by this time you are moving slightly (as some power is transfered to the wheels even though the clutch is slipping - note this depends on torque levels) so the ECU is happy this time around, if not it does this re-engage cycle again. Remember this happens quickly (1/10th of a second) so you don't feel all these things, but to the driver it feels like the car just stumbled or hiccuped. Interestingly at around 370 ft/lbs a A3 DSG car will not pull away from a full throttle standing start without tranmission ECU reporgramming as the rate of RPM rise versus speed increase is so out of programmed range that no forward motion is generated to get you out of this condition. You sit there with it pinned and fry a clutch ;^)

MTM claim they purposely tune back the torque to get around this issue. I can tell you the MTM with ~270ft/lbs doesn't stumble at all - it drives BETTER then stock actually due to the extra power.

I don't want to start a flame war on chips as it's like a religion to some, and I guess the best way to sum it up is that the different tuners have different important criteria. Some favor power over drive quality, some sacrifice fuel economy for more power, etc, etc.

Now, I'd love the extra power of the APR but after being burned by them with a B5 S4 chip and a Allroad chip both of which had serious drive issues (both of which vehicles when MTM firmware was used drove perfectly albeit a bit less power) I won't be going back as it sounds like they are still up to the same old tricks.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yep, if you're going through a nice long sweeper at a good clip, you don't want to ...

take your hand off the wheel.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: My APR 93-octane chipped A3

9 out of 10. No no my car dont do that even in sluggish d mode. Actually I havent experience it at all in the past week. I think audi could have made D mode a little more aggressive. S mode should allow you to use sixth gear at a lower speed to help with the gas mileage. But gears 1 to 5 in S mode is perfect. S mode has no problem with APR software so blame it on softy D mode not APR.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 AM

Default I don't agree. try one with paddles on the column and you'll see.

check where they are on the race cars
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 AM

Default I'd rather take my hand off to shift in a sweeper than figure wich side is up or down...

in tight corners. It the steerinf was about one turn fewer lock to lock, it wouldn't be an issue as you wouldn't have to shift hands on the wheel.

Again, beg someone to let you drive one that has them fixed. It seemed silly to me until I tried it in an F360, and boy did I have to beg.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd like to give APR a chance but have seen the issues in the B5 S4 chips as well

Most notably the notorious APR V3 where the ignition timing was so messed up that spark was occurring AFTER top dead center. Mistakes can be corrected, but I've also noticed that german tuners like MTM are more likely to get it right the first time than the U.S. tuners.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought they were a bank of buttons implemented on

the steering wheels. That's the case for Formula 1 racing as far as I know. I didn't think F1 cars used "fixed" paddles but I could be wrong.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Which race cars?

Most of them, including F1 cars, have paddles on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: My APR 93-octane chipped A3