Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

To NAV or not to NAV

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To NAV or not to NAV

I am looking at two identically equpped A3s, (premium, c/w, open sky, tech) except one has nav and the other doesn't. Both are 07 leftovers and I can purchase them around 4K off retail.

I am wondering what the consensus is on the NAV. I know it is vastly improved over the previous nav system, but simply put- is it worth the dough?

I have breifly played with the A3 nav, and while I like the integration, I don't feel it is up to par with the japanese manufacturer nav systems- no touch screen control, limited POIs etc. Is the oem nav practical and useful enough to justify the cost, or am I better off buying an aftermarket system (Nuvi, etc?)

Thanks for your input...
RL
Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was trying to decide the same thing...

I'm gonna go with nav for everything besides the navigation. I won't get much use out of the maps but i like the way it integrates everything else like phone, music, etc. You get those sd card slots too, which is nice.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We picked up a Garmin.

Nav system looked great and seems well-integrated with the overall interior look, but we just couldn't justify the cost difference over the Garmin. An aftermarket is a pretty good alternative, especially if you already have the bluetooth system.

We picked up the Garmin Nuvi 350 (no bluetooth), which at the time was $550 I think. I've seen Best Buy-type ads these days for $500, but you can probably hunt down a better deal online.

Function-wise, the Garmin has been pretty good, but the big negative for us has been that you have to sit still while powering it up until it locks onto you. If not moving, it hasn't taken more than 30 seconds or so to lock, but if moving, well...we've traveled 15 minutes or more on the freeway before it figured out where we were. There are a couple of other little quirks which apparently have been reported to other review sites, such as the inability to switch to the ac plug-in while in use, which is really annoying if the battery is not charged. (cnet.com has a pretty good review.)

Overall, we like the Garmin, but the in-dash Nav might have been a more seamless device. To us, however, the savings were worth the occasional Garmin hiccup. Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I was trying to decide the same thing...

+1 on the Nav unless you know you're going to want better sound later on. In that case, go aftermarket.

I went with Nav on my07 and couldn't be happier. The integration of phone, bluetooth, stereo is really good. The Nav mapping doesn't hold a candle to the system in the wife's Lexus.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default $355.49 for the 350

<ul><li><a href="http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=GRNUVI350">here...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Factory NAVs are obsolete before they're installed and they cost too much.

Buy a map or an aftermarket Nav system.
Technology moves too fast to justify an expensive hardwired system.

But that's just my opinion<ul><li><a href="http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3874">Nav article</a></li></ul>
Old 07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same here...

I like the integrated features, not only for the Nav but for the Bluetooth hands-free mode and so on. (But the iPhone only works with this feature if it's connected to the AC adapter, so beware.) We've had Nav in 3 other cars, dating back to a 1999 Jaguar S-Type, and the Audi Nav is the best we've had so far, although I realize it's not up to snuff with some of the Japanese models.

As far as the Audi Nav goes, it is very quick to give useful voice prompts, and it recalculates paths faster than either the Mercedes or Jaguar Navs that we had before. Since it's integrated with the entire audio system, you get volume control through the steering wheel, stereo mute during spoken Nav prompts, and optional muting during a phone call.

You don't get iPod integration with Nav, at least not an acceptable level of integration for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I recall everyone loving the factory NAV?

Plus it plays mp3s from SD cards, something I really wish I had (I think... never used the NAV interface to browse music...)

Then again, if you have a smartfone with builtin GPS, you probably don't need/want it, right?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Plus factory Nav puts route guidance in instrument panel multifunction display

If you're going to use Nav, that's a nice touch.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Default I Went Aftermarket Kenwood..

Minus the steering wheel controls not working..interface is much better then the NavPlus stock navi on my RS4.

Kenwood makes a great setup that allows for Navigation/DVD/iPod/SD Cards and i got mine done for about $1500....much better then stock nav in my opinion...and if your not used to the wheel controls anyway..it's no big deal..

Quick Reply: To NAV or not to NAV