Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

New A3 Sedan & Sportback - MQB Platform

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Washington Post is reporting a non-etron sportback fro 2015. Any truth to that? http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/2...79b_story.html
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
What car, past or present, has this feature?
they had it in horse carriage and chariot days. You whip the horse that you want to pull harder.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LWNY
they had it in horse carriage and chariot days. You whip the horse that you want to pull harder.
Sorry, for being slow. You must love S-Tronic transmissions. I don't.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
Sorry, for being slow. You must love S-Tronic transmissions. I don't.
My first car was a stick, and I was the first person among all my friends that had a stick, and I had sticks afterward. I loved driving the stick and didn't even mind it when I had to drive up long bridges in bumper to bumper traffic.

As for the Stronic, the most important aspect of it is that it preserves the feel of a clutch, especially when driven at high RPM and you are using it for both engine braking and the feel of the exact amount of power you want to put onto the road, which is especially important in those twisty roads....hard trail brake into the turn, then fast acceleration out of the turn. Plus, you can upshift anywhere, especially useful on those long sweeping turns that you accelerate more and more and eventually hit redline. I know with a manual, one tends to keep the RPM on the lower end of the scale, so one is not always engine braking or full throttle with max potential torque, nor are they ever hitting the redline, thus requiring a upshift in the middle of a turn.

What I am saying, with DSG, the concept of rowing gears is gone, but the ideal of being in the most optimal gear becomes much more feasible. Its like going from FWD to AWD, your mindset on how to drive certain roads in certain condition completely changes (when the snow comes down, I hear fellow FWD A3'ers talking about their car handles fine..no need for quattro...but that's fine in terms of getting from point A to B. With AWD, that's where the fun begins). You open up a new realm of driving.

Last edited by LWNY; 04-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.