Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

New A3 - Warranty work so far ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A3 - Warranty work so far ....

Took delivery of 2.0TDi on 1st March.

Pretty much since then I've noticed a banging from the dash when turning the car off, also the engine makes a kind of pinking noise when applying throttle (if you have the windows down you can hear).

Also before I even took delivery one of the electric folding mirrors was not correct, incidentally it took ages to get a price for those and then they overcharged me (got a refund).

The status today after visiting dealer is -

1) The noise from the engine is common across the new 16v TDi range - can't do nothing.

2) They have also noticed the banging in the dash, but only on TDi's - can't do nothing.

3) After it's 7th visit for fixing the mirror that will not fold it has to go back again in 2 weeks and there is still no guarantee it will work after that.

4) And also had airbag failure to throw in. They've confirmed one of the airbags is faulty, needs a new bag on the side of the seat aswell as the connectivity that goes with it.

So, has anyone else had these types of problems, if you haven't, you've been warned .......
Old 06-22-2004, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea I been hearing about a good few problems with the new A3 and mk5 Golf...

But it sounds like you have been really unlucky.

Shame, as the new A3 is a really nice car.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Yea I been hearing about a good few problems with the new A3 and mk5 Golf...

Yea I get a slight "clunk-clunk" noise as I turn the wheels full lock. This wasnt in it when I bought it about 6 months ago!!
Also the wippers. We get a lot of rain in Ireland so I need these things to work all the time. Sometimes they just stop working and I have to pull over on the hard sholder (again not many in Ireland) and turn the car off and wait about 3 minutes before I switch it on again. I have had the wipper motors replaced but still the same problem. I have to return again to the dealer as they have now a newly engineered motor as Audi have realised their first design was faulty. Apparently they are not going to recall the car instead they will just replace the motor when you get your first service.....
Oh I also have a slight rattle in the drivers door, right beside my ear!!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You in Ireland ?

Me too...

Where are you...I'm in the Kildare/West Dublin area...

Check this place out...and hit the forums...<ul><li><a href="http://www.vage.ie">http://www.vage.ie</a</li></ul>
Old 07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: New A3 - Warranty work so far ....

With regards to the noises you've had, apart from the obvious diesel noise, the only other thing I've heard out of mine is the odd whistle from the turbo and wastegate, certainly no pinking type noise.

Also, what do you mean by banging exactly?

The only problem I've had with mine so far is the windows. The drivers one started making and funning cracking noise when it slotted home, so they replaced the regulator and that fixed that. Now the passenger one has started the same thing, plus the drivers one is now making funny gurgling noises Got to go back in methinks.

As for other things, I've noticed the technology going a bit bonkers on me now and then. The radio has a habit of changing stations once in a while of it's own volition, the climate control has switched itself on a few times and the wipers have completely crashed once
Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yea I been hearing about a good few problems with the new A3 and mk5 Golf...

Oh I also have a slight rattle in the drivers door, right beside my ear!!!!
Had exactly the same - drives you mad doesn't it?

Mine disappeared of it's own accord, but was replaced by weird window noises so they dismantled the entire door and changed the window regulator, been fine since.