Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

New Impreza WRX imprezzive (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Impreza WRX imprezzive (long)

test drove the new Impreza WRX turbo today.
I expected to be disappointed given what I had read but infact came away VERY impressed.

It is much much more refined than the old car with a nice solid feel to the controls, especially gearshift. Road noise is well suppressed and engine noise subdued but not too muted.

Interior finish is also hugely improved although not to my liking (still very japo in style) and still well short of the S3. The seats are excellent and hold you much tighter than the S3 Recaros.

The best news is the handling - absolutely superb - nicely damped suspension but ride very acceptable (unless you like rock hard). Turn in is superb - accurate and fast, but turn further and the steering loses most of its feel (Legacy like) - this is a bad fault. It is still accurate but no feedback - bit like the A4 actually. Through fast corners it tracks beautifully - feels superbly stable and confidence inspiring - yes I am sorry to say it is better than the S3 in this regard.

Now for the really bad news - its SLOW!! A standard S3 would see it off through the gears and my chipped S3 is in a different league.

So apart from the criticism about the steering, and the reduction in performance compared to the old car (it is 130kg heavier) I give it a strong thumbs up.

Okay, I hear you say - those LOOKS!! - actually alot better in the flesh than the photos and the sedan is a lot nicer than the Sport Hatch (the latter loses the flared guards and has a narrower track).

Price in our market is $60000 NZD compared to the S3 at $76000. STi version with lots more power will be $70000. These prices are well above previous version largely due to currency shifts. This makes the S3 look much better value than before - and way more exclusive - Imprezas are thick on the ground - I have the only S3 for miles around.

I would be interested in other opinions from those who have driven it.
Old 11-11-2000, 11:06 PM
P1

Default Re: New Impreza WRX imprezzive (long)

My views differ a little. I got chance to test drive the car at the dealer launch this week. When I went my frame of mind was to change from the P1 into something new whilst waiting for the M3. If the new Scooby had been great I would give my dealer an order.

Looks - Does look better in the flesh, but still ugly. Park my P1 next to it and theres only one choice. Suppliers are working on body kits - rear wing, front spoiler and healight masks !!. The WRC car with big wing and some headlight changes looks quite nice.

Interior - Better than the old one, but the vents look totally out of place. Nice to see a heated wing mirror at last. Stereo slightly better.

Engine - As Greg says it feels slow. This seems to have been something affecting all MY00, but now with 170kg more it drains the car. There is no lag but just a linear throttle response. I wanted some lag and then a push in the back. Overtaking now takes a lot more thought. Prodrive are working on releasing a Power Pack with ECU, exhaust etc. This will get thecar back to good levels of performance. Then in 2002 the UK will get the STI's 280 bhp (if not before). There wont be many imports as the exchange rate is crap.

Ride & Handling - After all the press reports i was expecting little road noise. Very disapointed. The steering compared to the P1 lacks feel and was not as confidence inspiring. Ride quality was about the same as a P1. Again after Prodrive have had a play I'm sure it will improve. Other Impreza drivers have also complained about lack of feel.

My sum up is a C-. The car is a great base to start with. Wider track, better interior. When Prodrive release their mods either for std UK cars or produce a P2 (STI tuned for the UK) it will be good. It seems to have a major identity crisis at the moment. Its not refined enough to convince Audi or BMW drivers to want it. Its not raw enough for Impreza fans. They like the car to be close to the rally version.

For now Ive asked my Audi dealer to get me a late low mileage S3. There are also a number of Impreza drivers defecting to the S3. I get a couple of emails a month asking for advise. My Subaru dealer only has a months backlog on the new car, compared to 6-9 months for the old this time last year. Cost wise the S3 costs only 10% more. Has Xenon, decent stereo and Leather as std. Try buying a new S3 now its like the Impreza was with 6 month waiting lists. Seems like people are catching on.

Jonathan
Old 11-12-2000, 12:57 PM

Default Re: New Impreza WRX... not for me

As a former WRX owner myself, i would not have bought the new one just because it's so much cheaper than it already was inside. My S3 is a work of art and i love it. I too was impressed with the improvements but it's not Eropean Class yet. The new Impreza does not lack refinement, IT IS A LACK OF REFINEMENT ;o)

anyway, i'm really glad i didn't but one, since it was my first choice when arriving in NZ because it was logical to me to get the new one.

Audi wins my heart and since I plan to go MTM stage 3 on it, i don't think i'll even regret not getting an STi car.
Old 11-12-2000, 09:37 PM

Default Maybe I was a little too charitable but

the improvement in refinement and quality was essential to Subaru.

The problem is they have sacrificed more in the "involvement department" than Audi have with the S3. The S3 is now a much MORE involving drive than the new Impreza and with the performance drop and closing of the price gap (here in NZ at least) makes the S3 a far more tempting purchase.

ALSO: the MTM ECU is available with FULL warranty support - the Subaru will lose warranty with a chip upgrade.

Now all that is required is for the punters to take off their WRX/EVO blinkers!!

Cheers
Old 11-12-2000, 09:56 PM
P1

Default Re: Maybe I was a little too charitable but

An S3 with AMD upgrade (therefore Aston Greens warranty) will cost £26,000.

A WRX with Leather, Xenon driving lights and Prodrive chip (with full 3 year Subaru Warranty) will cost £26,00

The S3's waiting list is now longer than the WRX. Maybe us Brits have latched on quicker than the boys down under ?

Jonathan
Old 11-12-2000, 10:17 PM

Your WRX prices are higher - The STi is closer here
Old 11-12-2000, 10:21 PM

Oops - forgot what screen name was