Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

So, after 33,000 miles, I am finally replacing my two front Pirelli P6 Four Season's. They started looking bad way before 33K, but I have finally gotten around to replacing them, almost. I ordered the Continental ContiExtremeContact
(Ultra High Performance All-Season).

I ordered only 2 for now, to replace the Pirelli's in the front, which are down to the thread.
The Pirelli's in the back will have to wait another month, until I can gather some more money.

Now, should I rotate the back Pirelli tires to the front and install the new Continental's to the back? Or since its a Front Wheel Drive car, I can put the new Continental's in the front and leave the old Pirelli's in the back?

What do you all suggest? And has anyone had the ContiExtremeContact tires on there A3's?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: New Tires

Put the new tires on the front, and replace the other two ASAP.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 33K miles on the PSux?! Wow.

You must play your music very loud
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Re: 33K miles on the PSux?! Wow.

Well, I stretched it out, I was realistically supposed to replace the Pirelli PSux tires at about 25K, but I used them up as much as I could. Which wasnt to smart because now I have NOT been able to drive my A3 for about 1 week now, because the tires are about to blow out with any minor bump it goes over, so therefore I am just waiting on the Conti's to arrive, so I can have them installed and drive the car again.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ahh man I hate to even hear the word Pirelli after having those tires. I just got rid of them today.

I replaced them with the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 690AS All Weather and I absolutely love them. My car rolls like a luxury car again instead fo sounding like a EVO tin can cause of all the road noise.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Ahh man I hate to even hear the word Pirelli after

I contacted pirelli and told them the p6's are crap. They basically said too bad so sad. So I'm switching tires tomorrow. I was lucky. A spike embedded itself into the sidewall.

It eases the guilt of spending a grand on a new set. Just a little.

I'll let everyone know how my new tires go.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Ahh man I hate to even hear the word Pirelli after

Let me know what you get and how they run!

I also called Pirelli and they basically said the same thing. They told me that I must have never rotated the tires at all.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I told my tire guy not to sell those tires to anybody, they'll hate you for it. He said thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 AM

I just put a set of ContiExtremeContacts on my '08 A3 2.0T. I lasted about 16,000 with the P6 and then couldn't take it anymore. I live in Chicago and with only FWD, I wanted better snow all-season tires.

I haven't driven them in snow yet and only for about 500 miles, but initial observations:

- QUIET. Unbelievably quiet when compared to the P6. So quiet that even my wife noticed it right away, and she's clueless about cars.

- Handling seems mostly the same. I would say a little less road feel, but grip on the corners is comparable if not better.

- Much smoother on street and highways - which I like. It's a nicer car to take on long trips now, in my opinion.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: New Tires