Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

No manual tranny on the new A3 :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BSW
To all those complaining about the lack of a manual, your argument would be made a lot better if you explained *why* you didn't like the steptronic. This isn't the same slushbox found in the Q5, and I haven't seen too many people that have tried the steptronic and been unsatisfied with it. It's faster and more efficient than any of us.

AND - you can talk on the phone and drive...eat and drive. I was dead set against it...then I got an E46 M3 (SMG) that was sorta crappy...and in the 997 had a manual. Then I got the A3 (DSG) and liked it...then I got a 997 with PDK - amazing.

My sister has a Lexus LFR and that cars transmission is simply amazing - blistering fast gear changes. I think that manuals might just be on their way out.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by record10
AND - you can talk on the phone and drive...eat and drive. I was dead set against it...then I got an E46 M3 (SMG) that was sorta crappy...and in the 997 had a manual. Then I got the A3 (DSG) and liked it...then I got a 997 with PDK - amazing.

My sister has a Lexus LFR and that cars transmission is simply amazing - blistering fast gear changes. I think that manuals might just be on their way out.
What the heck is the LFR? Toyota only has slushboxes or jerktronic single clutch transmissions on the LFA.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sparkyjack
When I buy a car I try to avoid buying a car and doing things that are going to cause me pain, agony, suffering or be expensive to maintain. Some would respond to this as question my why I buy Audi's if I'm looking to avoid all of those things.

My reasoning behind buying Audi's is they are distinctive cars offering me a level of comfort and safety that I appreciate.

I have a '99 a4 1.8t that's will turn 200k before in the next few weeks, we've spent a fair amount of money on the car to maintain it and repair things, but in general I think it has a very respectable reliability record. Then again I'm biased, and may overlook or forget about things because I really like Audis.

At this point in time I don't think the DSG has been around long enough to prove that it will 200k miles with nothing more than (very expensive) fluid changes.

I hope that in 3-5 years I hope that Audi stll offers cars with a manual transmission.

Jack
If you care about safety, then you better dump your '99 a4 since safety technology has move light years ahead since then. The wear and tear part of the DSG are the clutches, and being multi-plate wet clutches that don't get ridden or dumped on by the transmission, it will last a bit longer than the manual transmission's dry clutch. It is also replaceable since there are aftermarket race clutches being sold.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

LFA - LFR...what ever. In either case, for that money you get a Ferrari.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by record10
LFA - LFR...what ever. In either case, for that money you get a Ferrari.
if it is the LFA, then it definitely is not smooth. Toyota's excuse for using the single clutch jerktronic is that their customers wants to feel the shift.....not because they worked so long on this car that back then, dual clutch car was in use in very limited number of cars, if any at all.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LWNY
if it is the LFA, then it definitely is not smooth. Toyota's excuse for using the single clutch jerktronic is that their customers wants to feel the shift.....not because they worked so long on this car that back then, dual clutch car was in use in very limited number of cars, if any at all.
Didnt say it is "smooth" - but day to day it is not at all bad - about equal in feel as PDK..but it is certainly faster and has a more solid punch you in the back feel than my PDK...I beat her car every time we "drag race"...all I need to do is tach up to 4200 let go of the brake - floor the gas and swear at it ;-)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the sad part is Audi has missed a revenue generating option here. I would definately pay for the manual in my new A3. It just adds that much to the fun driving experience.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The part Audi is interested in is that they have avoided the high costs of crash and emissions testing of additional chassis/engine/transmission configurations that will not have enough sales to produce any profitability.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeSS
The part Audi is interested in is that they have avoided the high costs of crash and emissions testing of additional chassis/engine/transmission configurations that will not have enough sales to produce any profitability.
The car and the engine would be the same. You think that they have to crash a car if the transmission is different? Do they have to crash them with and without sunroofs as that they sell them both ways and I would think that would effect crash performace much more then a transmission change.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As I understand it they have to crash test every combination of drive train that will be offered for sale.

I didn't say that it made any sense.

Quick Reply: No manual tranny on the new A3 :(