Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Nokia In Car Question - David R, Where R U!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokia In Car Question - David R, Where R U!?

Had the Nokia in car kit fitted for 7110 last night by my guy who is usually very good.

Even using the Tel inputs in my Bose equipped Concert system we couldn't get the phone coming over the in car speakers - worked fine in my old A3 TDI (without BOSE).

Had to install a second smaller Noia speaker but does anyone know whether the Bose system will allow calls to be heard over the car speaker system (guy who installed said this is impossible on A6 / A8s with Bose system)???!!!
Old 12-19-2000, 07:25 AM

Default What you have is correct. The problem is with (as we will all tell you) the ££££ wasted on Bose.

I have an A3 with the same problem, now wish that I had cruse instaed of BOSE, as it is excellent on an A6 (heard it last week) and superb on an A4, but sucks on an A3...

Anyhow...

There is a harness that the guys use when fitting your phone, that;
provides power from the audi harness
that mutes the radio and
that feeds the car phone audio to the front speakers.

Because the BOSE system has amplified speakers this is not possible.

As a result you have to make do with a separate speaker.

What I dont understand is that companies that fit trafficmaster and phone kits ala vauxhall and the like, have audio inputs to the rear of stereos to overcome the problem, all you then need is an isolating transformer for the phone kit, which you connect straight in parallel with the trafficmaster.

Audi, and the retrofit stereos (I have a high end Sony) do not cater for this and with the number of mobile phones out there you have to wonder why???
Old 12-19-2000, 07:33 AM

Steve - cheers for this info,another good reason to forgo BOSE
Old 12-19-2000, 08:10 AM

Default In Line Mute Kits

Thanks for the info -

I was hoping to get around problem by fitting an in-line mute kit behind the BOSE amp (wherever the hell this is located) and infront of speakers

Surely this would then take phone input into speakers?

Confused...!
Old 12-19-2000, 01:15 PM

Bollocks! Got a car kit coming soon too! What a pain.
Old 12-19-2000, 02:25 PM

Default My BOSE System, too, didn't allow calls to be heard over the car speakers

I have an Ericsson R320 with the appropriate In Car Kit (HCA-10) and had to install the small Ericsson speaker as well
Old 12-20-2000, 12:25 AM

Default Well, I sort of disagee...

... I can't comment on this exact problem, but S3 with Bose, 6CD, Sat Nav+, and had the phone prep done at the factory and then the nokia phone "bracket" as they call it installed in the armrest. The handsfree is a dream and it comes through the front speakers fine. So, it IS possible with the bose, but I am not sure how to go about it as an full in car kit afterfit.

Hope this makes sense. Christmas party last night and I feel rather rocky. Same again tonight so don't expect any more sense tomorrow!!!

Rurz
Old 12-20-2000, 02:25 AM

Default Standard concert unit has extra speaker driver in the R(?) door

The Nokia speakers have an extra unit specifically for handsfree etc. I think it was my R side speaker, two drivers in one.

I would have thought that BOSE unit would have done the same but if not, and it was my system, I would rather have an extra dedicated speaker so that I did not feed the terrible, clipped telephone signal into my speakers and run the risk of damaging them.

I assume that the concert unit does mute, however, as that is dealt with at the head unit and has nout to do with bose. Your installer should be able to easily wire the mute line into the concert, but you may need an extra metal insert to go into the stock wiring plug.

David
Old 12-20-2000, 03:52 AM

Default In to 200MY brochure there is no mention of a phone kit, so it my be a new feature

I would be interested to know if the Satnav system does the audio as well??

My Audi had the Concert system and there was so way round it.

I would be interested to know if the problem is there on 2001MY cars with the Symphony system...?
Old 12-20-2000, 07:02 AM

Thx David

Quick Reply: Nokia In Car Question - David R, Where R U!?