Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

OBD reader 2007 A3 - experienced advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD reader 2007 A3 - experienced advice please

Greetings all,
Potentially new to Audi. Presently have Priuses, Previous had a VW Scirocco.

Currently considering a gamble on a 2007 A3. Sellers says it "goes into limp mode after driving for a short time". If I take the bet clearly I'll need a code reader. The miles are relatively low, and the price is right on the A3.

On my Priuses I use a bootlegged Techstream. My Scirocco got 500,000+ miles on original engine and gearbox, and hardly needed anything! So I'm spoiled, and partial to German cars.

Can anyone with real world experience advise me please on the most effective, economical, user friendly scanner they have found for the A3? Learning from the generously shared experience of others is better than the tougher road of trial and error.

Aloha
John

Old 05-04-2024, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
I work for a company in Turkey that makes software for vehicles and all fossil fuel-using vehicles with electronic brains inside. My personal vehicle is Audi A3 8P. I use the
LAUNCH OBD2 LAUNCH OBD2
product, which is a product that I have experienced in my own vehicle and many other vehicles. I recommend it to you too. If you have any problems using it, I will be happy to help. Also in the link above it has red head if you find green headed version it is way better (some hardware changes more quality cables inside). You need to use X-LAUNCH app to scan and diagnosis.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Behic,
Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it. And thanks for your offer of set up help!
Good luck to you with everything.
In my case, the possible deal I had on buying an A3 did not happen, but I'll definitely keep your very generous information.

Aloha
John
Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default A3 purchase

Originally Posted by KauaiAudi
considering a gamble on a 2007 A3 Sellers says it goes into limp mode
1) I believe many changes were made in '09 or '10, you might wish to research and consider the newer model.

2) Audi parts are ridiculously expensive and used parts will be coming from a +/-15yo vehicle so keep that in mind when purchasing a new ride

The 1980's Scirocco was terrific. Could return as an EV:
https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-scir...-re-1851275441
Old 05-09-2024, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi sfphoto,

Thanks for your reply.

The particular A3 I was considering was an opportunistic purchase - I knew I would need a code reader to get it up and running. The deal fell thru.

In my opinion everything, including specifically auto related items, is ridiculously expensive. Its an ongoing problem from the covid shutdowns worldwide. One can either buy in an accept paying thru the nose. Or wait for the next major economic downturn/crisis.

I am not in any way committed to buying an Audi. I'll buy anything that comes my way and is a "good deal" if is meets my needs.

Yeah, that Scirocco was a really good car. I shoulda bought 5 and just stored 4.

To me, EVs only make sense if one has owned solar sufficient to charge the vehicle, and every trip is short enough to be done round trip on one charge. Otherwise I personally would not touch one.

But that's just me.

Best regards

John