Oil Cap Venting, reducing foam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cap Venting, reducing foam?

All,
I have a 2006 A3, 2.0, DSG.
I have owned from new, love the car. It now has 32,000 miles on it.

What is driving me absolutely crazy since new,,, is the foaming under the oil fill cap,,, and likely the subsequent crap that is building elsewhere.
I change the oil every 3500 miles max, but Im constantly checking under the cap to rid it of this foam.

In my mind its a byproduct of these tree hugging closed crankcase systems.

Has anyone tried venting the oil cap, or replacing it with an old vented cap?

I have been Googling this every which way for 2 days now as I'm now obsessed with fixing this issue.
I have not found anything like a vented cap mod.

I found something used on up to 2001 2.0 New Beetles that is what looks like a a piece that sandwiches inbetween the cap and the oil fill tube, that accomplishes exactly what I am looking to do (or what I think will solve the problem).

Has anyone used this part on a later 2.0t?

Or,,, since I'm not really an audi guy so much (really old BMW e30 M3s are my thing),,, is there a mod or solution to this situation.
I have searched it every way I can think of.

Thanks
jimmy p
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The stuff you're seeing is normal. All 2.0T engines do that. Don't worry about it.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think after much reading and talking to Justin at BSH, I think I am going to get one of the VTA catch can setups.

The fact that they all do that,,, still doesnt make it good, well it still doesnt make it that I dont want to fix it.

I have spent so much time reading about this over the past few days,,, it seems that VAG really screwed the pooch on the crankcase ventilation / recirculation system on this engine,,, to the tune of what 8 revisions of PCV valves.

I think getting that defective PCV system off the car is the way to go, well at least for me to have a clear conscience that I'm doing the best I can to keep it internally sludge free.
Justin confirmed that my idea will not work as I posted above, but the thinking along the same lines leads to their VTA catch can which is a win win.
It eliminates forever all failures of the PCV system, divorces any recirculation of blowby into the intake tract, keeping the valves soot free and gives the moisture a way out.
Other than the $300, I cant see a downside.