Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

OK for track day EBC Yellow vs Red - preferences?? And who is easy to deal with / has the best price

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK for track day EBC Yellow vs Red - preferences?? And who is easy to deal with / has the best price

Subject line says it all...

Yellow vs Red...submit your vote
AND who has the best price / customer service?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Haven't tried yellows. For a review of Reds, see thread below.

If you do a little bit of web searching, you'll find the same lowest prices on EBC pads at many different places - almost no one sells at list, and most have free shipping. Stock varies from day to day, and that status usually doesn't appear on the web pages, so you have to call.

- Chuck
Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use EBC yellow fronts and reds rears

Yellows are not safe for the drive to/from the track. When NOT hot the initial bite on yellows is not safe for street use. You will be changing pads twice per track adventure if you opt for yellows. This is a lot easier with fixed brembo monobloc calipers which can be reloaded rapidly once the cotter pin and retaining shaft are removed.

Performance on track was good, I had no problems with my brakes in the 4 days of track use I subjected them to last year. Braking was great once I got the pads up to temp, performance remained solid and predictable throughout the run sessions.

My sedan is equipped with front 312mm/boxster calipers and 255mm rears (stock calipers).

The weight of the A3 is very close to that of my sedan and the tire size is the same. The F/R weight distribution and F/R brake bias may be different as the rear rotors of the A3 are larger than mine by a good 30mm. While the front A3 rotors are the same dimensions as mine are.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Default I had questionable results with both yellow and redstuff rear

padsin my A3 3.2. At Watkins Glen this past July, the redstuff pads in my rear calipers showed significant disintegration (crumbling) of the pad material on the pad surface and edges after 11 run sessions (car was shared, so equivalent of two events). Pad wear was about 66%.

For the August Watkins Glen event, I switched to Yellowstuff in the rear, and found that quite a large chunk had mysteriously broken off one of the pads by the end of just a few run sessions. Pad wear was minor (although little driving done because of extensive fog and rain)

But what you might experience will depend a lot on (a) the track, and (b) your own driving. If you are an experienced (red or black group) track driver, you probably want something better than redstuff, IMHO.

More discussion is<ul><li><a href="http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2799967">here</a></li></ul>