Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Open Sky tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Sky tint?

Just picked up an 09 A3 with open sky today. Looking to have the windows tinted this week. Curious about the open sky feature. Does the interior get warm with all that glass? Anybody tinted the two panels with good results? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Acey
Just picked up an 09 A3 with open sky today. Looking to have the windows tinted this week. Curious about the open sky feature. Does the interior get warm with all that glass? Anybody tinted the two panels with good results? Thanks.
Do a search on vwvortex A3 forum. A few threads about the problem of getting Open sky tinted. Basically, the heat that's trapped between the glass may break the glass.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought those were tinted already? I bought mine slightly used and the guy tinted all the windows. My A4, previous GTI, and previous Jetta all had sunroof/moonroof that were tinted stock.

Pull the screens closed if it sits in the sun. A sun shade in the windscreen works great to keep the temp at least 10-15-deg cooler than without. FWIW.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine's been tinted in Socal for almost 2 years without issue.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This was my issue with Open Sky...

Nine out of ten A3s on my dealers lot had the Sky Roof. Heat through the roof is a significant issue and the flimsy mesh sun shade is a real joke. I would have loved a "traditional" sunroof but the lame choice of just the Sky Roof in the A3 forced me to factory order without it!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mine is tinted too....

both panels...and I live in the desert...no problems. Last year I traveled through death Valley. The temperature display on the DIS said 114... I am sure people up in Phoenix see even hotter temps all summer long. Tint it. I used fancy nano-ceramic tint, the darkest I could get.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The sun is evil !

I'm a very fair Norwegian and particularly sensitive to the sun, I avoid it at all costs. No Open Sky is preferable to me no matter how much the marketing staff a Audi wants to sell it to me. Did they survey the car buying population and get 1,000,000 responses that said "I WISH Audi would put a bigger sunroof on Audis!!!" ?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Default helpful responses

Thanks for the responses. After just a few days with this car, I think a tint on open sky makes sense not just for the heat reasons, but I miss the sort of secure and private feeling I got when I pulled the conventional solid sunroof shades on my previous A4s. I wish the A3 had both the mesh and solid shade options. I like letting the light shine through, but just not all the time. That said, the open sky is nice feature that I would get again. Besides the open sky question, I'm loving this car. The manual transmission is terrific. Great road feel. Solid build. I don't miss the quattro cause I don't see snow where I live. Was worried that I might regret going from an a4 to a3, but so far no regrets at all.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It is mechanically impossible to have a one-piece solid slide,

there is not enough roof left between the front and rear openings. It could be done with a "fish scale" design though, but that would be ugly.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ever seen an Open Sky A3 in a rollover accident ?

I wonder what happens with all that glass up on the roof !!! Scary.

Quick Reply: Open Sky tint?