Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Please can someone locate my EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please can someone locate my EGR valve?

Hi guys, I drive an Audi A3 (170) 2.0 TDI 8P 2012.

Can someone please locate my EGR valve from the attached pictures? I have been told by mechanics that the EGR valve is at the back of the engine and consequently requires the engine to be removed to gain access. So Im looking at a hefty labour bill (£95 per hour x 6 hours etc plus EGR replacement part cost).

I have error codes related to engine gas recirculation (P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit). I assume either (1) my EGR is clogged and needs a clean as the car has done in excess of 60k miles and has never had its EGR cleaned or (2) the solenoid has gone in which case I'm looking at a complete new unit as it comes as one whole unit (solenoid attached to EGR).

Everything related to the above paragraph apart from the error code is mere speculation, really need someone who's mechanically minded that can tell me where the valve actually is.

I have circled in red where I think the EGR valve is, however, I'm no mechanic and probably far from right!

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, Did anyone answer your equation? I have the same engine and am also looking for the EGR valve location. I see the second picture, but no indication on it.
Thanks.
Simon
Old 07-12-2020, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's at the back of the engine bay ,yes they are in a awkward spot but a good mechanic can have one out and replaced within 4 hours no need to remove the engine,,
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NeedHelp9173
Hi guys, I drive an Audi A3 (170) 2.0 TDI 8P 2012.

Can someone please locate my EGR valve from the attached pictures? I have been told by mechanics that the EGR valve is at the back of the engine and consequently requires the engine to be removed to gain access. So Im looking at a hefty labour bill (£95 per hour x 6 hours etc plus EGR replacement part cost).

I have error codes related to engine gas recirculation (P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit). I assume either (1) my EGR is clogged and needs a clean as the car has done in excess of 60k miles and has never had its EGR cleaned or (2) the solenoid has gone in which case I'm looking at a complete new unit as it comes as one whole unit (solenoid attached to EGR).

Everything related to the above paragraph apart from the error code is mere speculation, really need someone who's mechanically minded that can tell me where the valve actually is.

I have circled in red where I think the EGR valve is, however, I'm no mechanic and probably far from right!

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks.
i needed a new egr for my 2010 1.6tdi but was told better long term option was to remap the car to disable the egr valve and disconnect it, 7 months later engine is great no warning lights and car was sorted in under an hour and I saved myself about 600 just getting it mapped rather than getting a new one only to break again and pay out for another one in the near future! They are known to fail and clog especially if too much carbon builds up
Old 09-14-2020, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aidan McDonnell
i needed a new egr for my 2010 1.6tdi but was told better long term option was to remap the car to disable the egr valve and disconnect it, 7 months later engine is great no warning lights and car was sorted in under an hour and I saved myself about 600 just getting it mapped rather than getting a new one only to break again and pay out for another one in the near future! They are known to fail and clog especially if too much carbon builds up
Hi,does your car have a DPF as I was led to believe the DPF must also be removed (gutted then re welded) as they both work together..
Old 09-14-2020, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by den9112
Hi,does your car have a DPF as I was led to believe the DPF must also be removed (gutted then re welded) as they both work together..
mine does have a dpf all cars after around 2009 have them and I didn’t need to go near that, the egr puts exhaust gasses back into the engine to burn off any bit of carbon left behind after ignition and the dpf is just a filter in the exhaust for any other particles or carbon left after that and burns them off too, the dpf can become blocked if your driving short journeys and keeping the car at low rpm but unless you have a light on the dash for that too then it doesn’t need to be redone