Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

power windows/interior light/central locking gone a bit wacky (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power windows/interior light/central locking gone a bit wacky (long)

Hello all,
I am having a few electrical problems with my A3. Before I take it to the dealer in a few days for a service, I thought I would ask here for any ideas A week ago, it started blowing fuse number 38, which seems to control the power windows, central locking, and the function that makes the interior light come on when the ignition is turned off and the key removed. I replaced the fuse thinking nothing of it, and then it blew again the next day. I started to get suspicious and paid attention to what was actually happeneing, but couldn't re-produce a situation which blew the fuse.

I then noticed yesterday, that the power windows and central locking are permanently active (the lights in the window and locking switch/es are on) no matter whether the car is on/off, locked/unlocked, whatever... I have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to 'reset' anything that might have gone a bit loopy, but to no avail - the windows and locking are permanently active, and I also cant open or close the windows using the key in the drivers door (holding in lock or unlock to close or open), and the interior light doesn't come on when I remove the key after ignition turn off.

Also throughout this whole thing I have had to stop using my (aftermarket) alarm, as it goes off a few minutes after being armed, no doubt due to a voltage drop caused by the windows or something? I have tried totally disconnecting the alarm module as I initially suspected it, as it also gets its power through fuse 38, but everything was still playing up when the alarm was totally disconnected with no power.

does anyone have any ideas on this? (I am worried that the dealer is going to blame the alarm which I dont think is at fault)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: power windows/interior light/central locking gone a bit wacky (long)

I have had the same issue recently. I am driving a 2001 A4 Quattro. This just started happening to me within the last week. THere was a lot on construction going on behind my house and my alarm was set off quite a few times. Drained the battery.
I thought it might have been that my battery was dead, so I went out and bought a new one. No luck.
The only difference I have is it blows fuse 38 almost immediately.
On my instrument panel it says that my driver side door and trunk are open, which they are not.
Most likely I will take the car to the dealership to get fixed. If I will post here what they did to fix it.