Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Pulsating sound at idle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsating sound at idle...

When sitting still (traffic light) with foot on brake and transmission in drive I hear a pulsating sound (about once per second). Doesnt' feel like the car is trying to move, but the sound is as if I were in a M/T car and slightly disengaging the clutch over and over.

2008 2.0T/DSG. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Does the sound change in frequency when if you give it a little gas? See my recent post..

https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/113911.phtml

I had a similar sound that was more of a scraping / 'swooshing' noise (not sure what pulsating may sound like). At idle it had a frequency of a little less than 1 second and changed with the engine RPM. Turned out to be the timing belt...

If under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to get it checked out at the least.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Pulsating sound at idle...

I had actually seen your post - thanks for the tip. This sounds like a different problem, however.

The sound goes completely away as soon as the car starts to move. Only happens at idle in gear with my foot on the brake. Really hard to describe the sound, except to repeat that it's a pulsating sound that sounds (not feels) like the car is trying to move forward. Doesn't seem to be related to RPM as far as I can tell. Not much help I realize, but it sure can get annoying! Took it in about 1,500 miles ago, got the dreaded, "Could not reproduce." Seems to be more frequent now, so maybe at the 15,000 service it will "perform". I'm at about 11.5k now.

Originally Posted by eger
https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/113911.phtml

I had a similar sound that was more of a scraping / 'swooshing' noise (not sure what pulsating may sound like). At idle it had a frequency of a little less than 1 second and changed with the engine RPM. Turned out to be the timing belt...

If under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to get it checked out at the least.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I experience the same thing. It does sound somewhat like a pulsing drone. It almost sounds like the car is straining against the brakes trying to keep itself rolling. I used to I think that really what was happening, but then I'd let up on the gas and the car wouldn't roll.

So I've come to believe that it's normal. I'm guessing it's somehow related to the car keeping the car in neutral while the car is stopped and the drive is braking. The dealer probably is claiming they couldn't reproduce it because the car is operating as expected.

Even if it is somehow related to some design issue I don't think it's anything that will be addressed with anything but a new version of the transmission. These kinds of transmissions are too new for there to be a good point of reference on how they should be working.

Of course, I am pretty much guessing and I hope that it doesn't turn out to be a problem after all.