Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Random thoughts from my A3 test drive today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random thoughts from my A3 test drive today.

1) I really like it. It lived up to my expectations. I might even consider the FWD, but if they had the 2.0T with quattro it would be a sure sale.

2) There's been some comments that the interior is not quite up to the usual Audi standard. Maybe, and I mean maybe, the quality of the interior plastic is one grade less than what's in the A4, but I have zero problem with the way it is.

3) DSG is cool, but I still want a true manual trans.

4) The dealer had A3s in the following colors: Black, Silver, Red, Ocean Blue, and Murano Green. Murano Green with tan interior is verrry nice.

5) The test drive A3 had standard seats which were very satisfactory, but one of the other A3s had the sports seats. I'd get the sport seats because bigger side bolsters just look cooler.

BTW, I was introduced to the regional AoA rep who happened to be visiting the dealer today. My sales guy used me as an example of one of many customers who's requested a 2.0T quattro with 6spd manual trans. So if nothing else, I know that AoA got some more feedback on the issue.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Default i do believe you have the lowest Account ID I've ever seen, and mine is

not that high. From what I've seen so far, it is the enthusiasts that are following the A3, at least until it becomes more widely known.

Which dealer has this selection? I guess its unlikely that you are here in Pacific Northwest, but I would love to see the green.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Yup, been around for a while now.

I first started reading these forums back in late '97 or early '98. I'm currently Audiless, so I don't post much anymore. Besides, when you've been around for so long, most everything's been said a few dozen times over already.

I loved both my '99 A4 2.8 sedan and my '01 S4 Avant (and they were both incredibly reliable as well.) Hopefully, if Audi brings the configuration I want, I'll rejoin the fold with an ('07?) A3.

The dealer I test drove the A3 at is Diablo Audi in Concord CA (SF Bay Area).
Old 05-14-2005, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I test drove one recently too

I test drove a FWD manual with 2.0T engine at Beechmont Audi in Cincinnati. They are right next to just about the best test drive road imaginable, so I got to see how it handled. The engine was very impressive, and the car seemed at least as fast as my chipped + exhaust A4. The car handled very nicely on that twisty road, which has lots of elevation changes as well as turns.

I was a little underwhelmed by the interior. The VW R32, for example, has a much nicer interior. I don't think I would buy one like I test drove for nearly $30,000. The main thing I came away thinking was that the upcoming VW GTI with the 2.0T would be a hell of a car. I probably should have taken the time to test drive one of the A4s with the 2.0T and quattro, to see if the motor was still peppy with that extra weight, but my own car was finished being serviced and I wanted to get home.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:57 AM

Default I just returned from my A3 test drive for the iTunes promotion...

and I really loved the car too. The 2.0T is really a silky smooth engine and I thought that the DSG is an incredible transmission.
I plan on test driving the quattro versions when they come out and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the S3 to make it over here.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:58 PM

You're right about the GTI. Will have to seriously consider that if no 2.0T quattro comes.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

regular seats = not sport suspension. You missed out!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Actually, the stock suspension wasn't that bad.

But I'd get mine with the sport suspension.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've driven the A3 & A4QM with the two liter...

...and think that the '2' is fine in the A4. Sure, it isn't as quick as the A3 but the A4 has a great ride and slick six-speed. And with that nice tall sixth gear the mpg are great while cruising. Just wish the new A4 looked as nice as the A3!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine is pretty low........

Don't hang around audiworld like i used to, and have always been a bit of a lurker.

Quick Reply: Random thoughts from my A3 test drive today.